lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
mncdriver
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default g2 that just quits

Please someone help me. have a 86 g2 that just quits after about 20 min. of run time. Seems to be when everything gets heat soaked. Had carb off and cleaned, needle and seat look fine. New spark plug and Igniter(200 bucks). could the coil be getting hot and giving up? any thoughts would be great.
thanks Mark
mncdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: g2 that just quits

Yes coil or ignitor.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
mncdriver
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Re: g2 that just quits

ok so today i drove it until it quit. just before it quit it started to back fire through the carb. pulled spark plug wire off and pluged it into 2nd plug that was grounded. showed to have good spark. put wire back to see if it would start. after spinning over for a few seconeds it started up and ran. then sounded like it was missing and shut off also back fired through the carb again. i hate to throw more parts at it for no reason. stumped
Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncdriver View Post
ok so today i drove it until it quit. just before it quit it started to back fire through the carb. pulled spark plug wire off and pluged it into 2nd plug that was grounded. showed to have good spark. put wire back to see if it would start. after spinning over for a few seconeds it started up and ran. then sounded like it was missing and shut off also back fired through the carb again. i hate to throw more parts at it for no reason. stumped
Try this....the negative battery cable bolts onto the starter/generator. Yamaha "pigtailed" a 18 gauge wire at the eye end terminal. Cut the electrical tape back and cut off the 18 gauge wire, put an eye end on it and reatatch the small wire to the starter post. Could be the connection is bad and if so, missed spark. Good luck dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
mncdriver
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks for your help. i removed all the tape from the wires. Tracing them i found some wire exposed on that 18 guage wire. taped it up and tried it again. hopeing it was arcing to ground on the motor mount. same situation. it cut out after about 15 to 20 min. of run time. the connection looked good at the starter. should i still go ahead and splice a ring terminal on that wire? it really runs great for the 15/20 min. window.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
mncdriver
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thumbs up Re: g2 that just quits

I got it fixed I think. Found out when wiggeling wires I could make it cut out. I started tracing and wiggeling wires. There is a three wire conection next to the igniter. One of the pins was pushed back and not making a good connection. Fixed that and so far me and my sons have been riding all day and no issues. thanks for the help.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Thanks for the feedback, will help someone else here, probably real soon!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha