lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default A few 98 questions..

Ive been around the forum and have some of my questions answered but I hope you fine folks dont mind me askin directly.

After she warms up I get sometimes get pop/back fire from on decel, any suggestions?
Maybe related.. after warmed up she runs on after hitting the brake and even after turning the key off, even feels like it goes in reverse, related maybe?
Anything to check/watch out for with this cart?

Now the fun stuff..
Whats every ones suggestions as far as lift (6"+) and performance upgrades? She feels pretty strong on take off but pretty slow topped out. I know thats a relative thing as all I have ever done with a cart is the ones I rent at campgrounds. They feel like there very fast because the campground roads are narrow and driving my cart on my large neighborhood streets isnt the same.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Ramchargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: A few 98 questions..

First I would check that the carb butterfly is closing fully with the gas pedal released, next, it is possible that your top end maybe carbonised excessively. If the latter is the case, you will have hot spots (red hot carbon) in the cylinder head even when you shut off. This will cause the "running on" that you describe since the hot carbon will act like a spark plug of sorts and will try to keep the engine running, this can also the cause the reversing action of the motor. You might try to Google "running on" or "pre-ignition to get a better description of this phenomena.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sweet, thanks for that info. Dont think I'll be doing enough to this little engine to deserve a tear down to inspect the head. If I have to do any engine work it'll most likely be a twin swap. I kinda like to improve on everything.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

One of the long time regulars around here was singing praises about Seafoam cleaner for carbon buildup and such. I have also heard good things about it. Might be worth a try if you can get it locally until you go for a motor upgrade.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for that info, Im all for tryin a cheap fix, once.

On another note.. this may be a stupid question but no one ever accused me of being all that smart.. .. Whats the harm in converting a cart to run just like a go cart or a car, I mean cable up the go pedal directly to the carb? Seems to me that would make a cart **** reliable bypassing all the governor and rev limiter crap? I know the revs would have to be watched but all my years of racing go carts I think I could handle it.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramchargin View Post
Thanks for that info, Im all for tryin a cheap fix, once.

On another note.. this may be a stupid question but no one ever accused me of being all that smart.. .. Whats the harm in converting a cart to run just like a go cart or a car, I mean cable up the go pedal directly to the carb? Seems to me that would make a cart **** reliable bypassing all the governor and rev limiter crap? I know the revs would have to be watched but all my years of racing go carts I think I could handle it.

I guess you could do that but two minutes of your time, a zip tie and a pair of wire cutters is cheaper and easier imo.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
First I would check that the carb butterfly is closing fully with the gas pedal released, next, it is possible that your top end maybe carbonised excessively. If the latter is the case, you will have hot spots (red hot carbon) in the cylinder head even when you shut off. This will cause the "running on" that you describe since the hot carbon will act like a spark plug of sorts and will try to keep the engine running, this can also the cause the reversing action of the motor. You might try to Google "running on" or "pre-ignition to get a better description of this phenomena.

Chris.
Check the choke too. If it is not fully opened when the motor is hot, you will get a rich condition that could be causing the problems you described.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
I guess you could do that but two minutes of your time, a zip tie and a pair of wire cutters is cheaper and easier imo.

Chris.
I just skimmed over that write-up real quick. It does seem pretty easy and reversible so I'll probably give it a shot first.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcitech View Post
Check the choke too. If it is not fully opened when the motor is hot, you will get a rich condition that could be causing the problems you described.
I didnt even think of that! Thats probably it because the axle where the exhaust exits its pretty black so I bet she is runnin rich. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Turns out the guy lied to me and its not a 98 but a 96. I didnt know where to look for the date before I bought it and jumped on it because its a gasser, clean and good price. Seems not too much difference 96 to 98 anyway?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car