lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
troythomassmith
Not Yet Wild

Default 94 DS Flattens Battery

I have a 94 DS that I acquired through Ebay here in Australia. If have taken it out a few times for golf, but the last two times I have only gotten in 3 holes before that battery has gone flat.

I replaced the voltage regulator but the problem re-occured.

Once i found this forum ( which is awesome btw...so much good information ) I followed various threads and have troubleshot the gen system as much as I can at the moment. I have reached a point where I am not sure what I need to replace to get it back going smoothly. I don't won't to shotgun parts and it wind up costing more than it need to.

So..I am only getting about 12.2v at the battery when the cart is running. I follows the DS won't charge thread and followed the guide about shorting the lugs on starter generator with no change to output than I have stated before (12.2v)

I then stripped down the starter-generator and looked at the brusuhes which looked ok i thought, but without having a real refernence for appearance or length it's a guess of servicability.

The battery is only a 450CCA which worries me as I read somewhere that it should be 600+ CCA.

It also appears that when the motor kicks over the belt is slipping on the genarator which is most likely contributing to the issues.

Come anyone provide some feedback of where too from here with the trouble shooting. Any help will be greater appreciated.

Cheers,

Troy.
troythomassmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 94 DS Flattens Battery

welcome, if the starter belt is slipping you just either need to replace it or get it tighter.........they need to be pretty tight...........as for the starter not charging thats a rare thing but does happen.....your brushes have lines cut into them that show minimum wear when the line reaches the brush holder but i think i would go with a bigger battery and make sure all grounds are clean and double check your new voltage regulator i have bought more than one new regulators that were bad.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
troythomassmith
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for info the info, how exactly can I check the voltage regulator? What outputs can I measure to see if it's doing it's job?
With the brushes doesn't the starter use them to get the motor turning as well? So if they were worn below the wear mark wouldn't it not start the motor? Just a question? Trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

all the starters work a bit different but even brushes worn down past minimum yes they will start the cart.......some starters are more picky than others so theres not an exact science..........as for V.R theres no real way to bench test it so if you put the cart in maintence mode then with a voltage meter put your probes on the battery post and as your revving up the rpm,s your meter should climp to approx 15.3 volts....anything over 15.7 is bad and under 13.9 is bad and if you get a bad reading i would swap out the V.R even if its new.....as long as all your grounds are good, tight, and clean even your engine grounds.......and make sure your hooking it up right.........all i can tell you is in my experience over the years i have had to replace exactly one starter because it wouldn,t charge....on the other hand hundreds and hundreds of V.R.s .......also keep in mind even a new battery can be bad so double check it and load test it.......................
Old 06-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
troythomassmith
Not Yet Wild

Cheers Tom I'll give a burl today and come back with some results.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #6
troythomassmith
Not Yet Wild

So that fault finding continued.

I took your advice Tom and checked and cleaned all the earths.
Then I double checked my hookup of the VR, which all checked fine as per the diagrams I got from other posts on the forum.
Then I checked the brushes which were all well above the minimum wear marks.
I tightened the starter belt, which got rid of the slip on starting.
Checked battery before start about 12.8v.
Then ran it up again in maintenance mode, still only about 12.2-12.5v at the battery terminals when running. (Battery drops pretty low on start around 8-9v.)
Then when you stop jumps back up to about 12.8v.
Several times when I had it running with my foot to the wall the cart would splutter...drop of revs or about 1 second then go ok again. When it dropped off voltage across the battery would drop to on the 10-11v range.
I tried some experiments to check the VR but all seems to come back with the same 12.2-12.5v when running.
The SG seems to only be putting out that. When I do the full field test do I short DF to gound? When I had it on the bench and hooked up direct to battery I only got 8.5V out of DF and 12.5-12.8 when I had DF and A2 shorted. SO that mean that I don't have the full field only 3/4 or so?So guess from here have to buy another VR even though not sure that is the fault. I got quoted about $95 an hour plus parts for the repair shop about an hour away to fix it. So don't really want to do that either.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i wish i were there to help...let me read this again and let it sink in.................
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by troythomassmith View Post
Several times when I had it running with my foot to the wall the cart would splutter...drop of revs or about 1 second then go ok again.
This is probably the engine hitting the rev limiter and is not an indication of any charging circuit problems. Just wanted to clear that up for ya, mate.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
troythomassmith
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for that Gornoman.
Just wish I could figure out what is wrong with the bloody stupid thing.
I found a SG on eBay for $135 USD plus $45 for freight. Is cheaper than the one from here they want near on $500 for it.
Quote for a new battery was $200. It's looks like I'm up for some dollars. **** it, **** it to hell.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

200 for a battery.......for that much i can ship you 5 of them................cost about 30 bucks around here.......................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car