lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2022, 04:20 PM   #1
Jmuoio81213
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Zombie Batteries and Excuses

First post. I have a 2007 Precedent (Reconditioned before I bought it with a 6", 22s, new batteries circa 2014). I have been looking around for excuses to upgrade my controller to an Alltrax 400, my 2014 Powertron batteries to lithium or my motor to an aftermarket but alas...they all seem to be working well. I spoke with Dave at Revolution today (Wealth of knowledge), and short of subbing my running gear out into a hall of fame and needing to replace its pieces, I'm having trouble justifying additional improvements. I'm still getting 53v across my 4x12s many hours after disconnecting the charger, and each battery reading 13.4-5v. I get about 18-19mph...which is maybe a couple mph short of what I'd wish for, but I'm not unhappy with the speed.

This may be the only thread ever where someone with no problem needs people to help me invent one/some. If anyone could help me out with any that will pass muster with me and the wife...I'd be grateful.

In seriousness, this really is the best golf car resource on the planet. I've learned more here than anywhere...as I have on the "Hull Truth" for my boat. Thank you all for your expertise.

JM
Jmuoio81213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2022, 04:23 PM   #2
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Zombie Batteries and Excuses

LOL, I suffer from the same disease... Although 2014 ? that's some great longevity... Here in Florida your lucky to get 3-4 good years...
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:33 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

About the only justification I could offer… Sell the stock good working stuff to help cover some of the cost of the upgrades. Its worth more now than it would be when it’s broken and not worth anything. The motor would get a couple hundred bucks on eBay, controller the same. My 4x12v batteries weren’t as old as yours but I still got a quick $400 for them on Facebook marketplace. Another 50 bucks for the OBC on eBay and 150 for my stock charger. It helped offset a good chunk of the lithium upgrades
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
Jmuoio81213
Getting Wild
Club Car

That's a good start for chipping away at the wall. I acknowledge it's dumb...she's not distinguishable from a newer machine by appearance or performance. Perhaps I'd just rather put time into her than the boat.

JM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220817_173951.jpg (199.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d rather put time and money into an older cart to make it exactly how I want it than into a newer cart that’s just “newer” but maybe still not perform exactly how you want.

And boats eat enough money on their own, plus unless you live on a lake you have to go out of your way and make special plans to use one. The golf cart you can hop in at any time and just go out and ride around :)
Old 08-17-2022, 05:52 PM   #6
Jmuoio81213
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well said. I think I can craft that argument into paying some site sponsors for a dialed down Alltrax400/solenoid/cables, at least. I think my cables are 6s, and I know my Curtis is a 250. Dave or Scotty...I'm at your disposal.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

New batteries would be first on the list whether you decide to upgrade the motor/controller or not.
I know they still seem to work well for you, but when you do need them I would at the very least change it to a 6x8v pack arrangement to bump up the capacity.

Beyond that. If you desire for more speedy speed, a high speed magnet may get you there for next to nothing.

Where are you located? What's the terrain like that you normally run on? Is it flat? small/light hills, or mountains and lots of steep hills?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:45 PM   #8
Jmuoio81213
Getting Wild
Club Car

I am trying to string the batteries along until enough people have gone lithium for me to trust them implicitly. I'd go Ecobattery or something if I make it to that point, I think. I drive the cart every day with the kids around the hood to the pool or park...cruising counting rabbits and whatnot (We're in Charleston, SC...so hills are far from here). Probably a mile to three each day, is all. Could explain the longevity, I guess. I do worry that any upgrade downstream from the batteries will push them over the edge.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:59 PM   #9
Jmuoio81213
Getting Wild
Club Car

I'm also a bit stodgy about having either 6 or 12v arrangements, because if I have to power things in the wake of a hurricane, I do tend to use the cart batteries on an inverter before I switch to the truck battery. I always have a couple 12v batteries laying around from my trolling motors as well, so it's almost impossible that I don't have enough juice for a few days in the current (No pun intended) arrangement. Can keep a lot of cell phones, modems, routers and laptops alive for a long time with 7 12V batteries.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:31 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I wouldn’t hesitate to trust a quality lithium pack. Lot of the guys here like the eco battery, if you can find someone that has them. I’ve been running the allied batteries I got from plowmans (site sponsor and has excellent prices on the allied) for almost 2 years now and am 1000% impressed with their performance, ease of install, ease of maintenance (because there is none to speak of) and the range. When my cart was stock with just a speed magnet and 2 of the 48v 60aH batteries I’d get around 30 miles on a charge. I’ve since added a 3rd and at 30 miles I’m still around 40% state of charge. I haven’t bothered trying to push it any further than that, and honestly only did that once. I generally recharge about every 20-25 miles or around 60%. And that’s now with an upgrade admiral motor (still stock controller). Runs ~25mph and has a ton of power.

I never cared for electric carts until I converted mine to lithium. All the constant charging and water and maintenance was too much hassle for me. And god forbid you didn’t charge it after every ride the batteries wouldn’t last nearly as long. Sounds like you’ve done an incredible job maintaining your batteries though! However… after switching to lithium, now I wouldn’t care to own another gasser. I charge my cart once every 2-3 weeks depending on how much we use it. And that’s about all the maintenance it ever needs.

If lithium is in the budget, it’s well worth the investment.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car