lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
Mac B.
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default G2 clutch

I was riding yesterday and my G2 started reving way up and not pulling. I did not think I was going to make it home. I have searched this site and still do not know what I need to replace. Do you replace the whole clutch or rebuild it? How hard is it to replace and where do you get one dealer or plowman? We have only had this cart for about 6 months but I think the clutch is original.

Thanks Mac
Mac B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 clutch

it sound like a broken weight in the clucth take the front cover of and see if there is one brocken you can buy the weight. and welcome to BGW
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

Yeah you should take the cover off and check everything like Groundpounder said. I would also reccomend greasing both clutches. About every month or two you should grease both clutches to help keep them in good shape...
Yamaha4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Mac B.
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the tips. I will take the cover off and look at it. How long will the clutches last in these?

Thanks Mac
Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

Well it really just depends on use. Ive had alot of trouble with the clutches on both of my Yamahas. I think there a weak spot on the cart. Im not sure how much you want to spend here, but if you want a good aftermarket clutch that requires no grease and matinence, then you may wanna check this clutch out. Its makes the cart run alot smoother on take off, it dosent make any clunk noises like the G16 clutches do and will give you ability to make your golf cart into a key start. I have one on both of my carts and have NEVER had any trouble with it. Ive never even touched it after installing them...

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-G2-UP-DRI...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Mac B.
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I took the cover off and there is a broken weight. It looks like pins hold them in. How hard is it to change and do you change all of them at one time? Should I go ahead and put the spring in it everyone is talking about?

Thanks Mac
Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac B. View Post
I took the cover off and there is a broken weight. It looks like pins hold them in. How hard is it to change and do you change all of them at one time? Should I go ahead and put the spring in it everyone is talking about?

Thanks Mac
When you replace the weights you should replace all 3 at once because if one is broken more than likely all of them are worn

The spring goes in the rear clutch not the front clutch. The front clutch uses the centrifical weights to run it instead of a spring.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Mac B.
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Do you have to take the clutch off to change the weights? Sorry for all the questions but this is the first cart I have owned.

Thanks Mac
Old 02-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac B. View Post
Do you have to take the clutch off to change the weights? Sorry for all the questions but this is the first cart I have owned.

Thanks Mac
Yes you do need to take it off. The large bolt will come off "counter clockwise" and the sliding sheave/spider.weight assy will slide off. Please change all weights and if damaged change the pins and spider also. Use a propane torch to loosen the (loctite) holding the "set screws" that keep the pins in place. Replace the bad parts/reinstall (use loctite on the set screws again) and here's the "trick"...DO NOT OVER GREASE THIS CLUTCH !!!!! Once instaled, put the zerk fitting at 12 o'clock, shoot 1 or 2 shots of grease in, rotate the zerk fitting to 6 o'clock, push the floating flange toward the engine and "whipe out any exposed grease out from inbetween the floating flange and spider. Install the cap, the drive belt and your primary clutch should be good a year. Do this procedure any time you grease the primay clutch and it should last for another 20 years. In my experiance... Overgreaseing is the problem. You only want grease on the bushings in the floating flange (they slide in the fixed sheave) gease on the weights and pins cause most of the problem! Lastly about the Comet 94 aftermarket clutches.....Some people would disagree, but they don't engage till higher rpm's are reached....In my opinion not a very "smooth" feel. Good luck Dave PS...If you have a secondary clutch with a zerk fitting in the floating flange (your lucky) and a few shots of grease will help "sticking and growling" unless the bushing is bad.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Absulutly...change all wweight kits at the same time. Also change the pins if damaged along with the spider if (where the plastic washers ride between the weight link ends) damaged. If your "Cap" has a "crack or hole" replace it also. The parts needed would still be less then an aftermarket Comet clutch. I have heard of some people installing a newer style G16/G22 clutch and you can buy one as a complete assy. You just need a special tool to get the fixed sheave off the crankshaft. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha