lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #21
gwbrehm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Here we go again, hahahahahaha

Brew, thanks for the info on the shock upgrade. My cart drives like a tank and is in need of something to smooth out the ride. I'm going to wait a week or two because as I remember Monroe always puts on a buy 3 and get 1 free promotion in October. With any luck they will again and hopefully apply to these shocks. Take care and keep us posted
gwbrehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #22
SouthCentral
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

GW, good info on the shocks, hopefully the really do that. Let us know if they do!
SouthCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
nocerus03
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Subscribing. I just picked up a 92 Marathon so i am interested in seeing what i can "steal" from this build for mine.
nocerus03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
gwbrehm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well the good news is Monroe is having their annual "Shocktober" promotion (Buy 3 get 1 free). The bad news is the Monroe-matic plus shocks aren't included. I checked for upgraded shocks that would qualify for the promotion and found out they would cost twice as much. So there's no savings there. Here's a link to the rebate for anyone interested:

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloa...ate_US_WEB.pdf
gwbrehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #25
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yeah, I went down that road too when I saw the promo ... These shocks are for an AMC Gremlin and a Geo Tracker (front and rear, respectively) so chances are there isn't an incredible demand for them, LOL ...

If you're ordering through Rock Auto give them a ring and get a real person on the phone, they sometimes offer promo discounts, shipping deals, etc and I've found it's pretty easy to get them to find a deal for you (shameless plug: I also use them for most of my car parts, etc - they're fast and the prices are generally worth the 2-3 day wait to get the part in your hands)

Also, trust me - the shock upgrade is NIGHT and DAY if your cart still has the OEM shocks (which a lot of these older Marathons still do) - my 88 became an entirely different cart after the swap, and I definitely mean in a GOOD way (plus, those extenders just scare the he11 out of me from an engineering standpoint and also given the fact that I'm not exactly "gentle" on my carts, LOL)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OKAY ... Well, the original plan for today turned into a whole new adventure. I was planning on pulling the wheels, suspension, etc to get things prepped and ready for the lift, etc once the parts arrive (I found a TXT cowl about 2 hours away from me for $35 so that's tomorrows morning plan) BUT imagine my dismay when I found out that not only was the sheet metal totally tweaked but so was the FRAME ...

20121001_161623.jpg.jpg

20121001_161633.jpg.jpg

After some inspection and a little hammering, etc I figure it shouldn't be *too* difficult to straighten out, I'm planning on taking it to a buddys shop tomorrow night and see if the pneumatics might make things easier and I figure an experienced set of eyes can't hurt - it's hard to tell with the drivers side all twisted but it almost looks like the axle might be tweaked a bit as well, the measurements I took show it as OK but dang if it doesn't look "off" ... Anyhow, in the meantime I moved the lights up to the dash so I can still drive her around at night if need be - might be a few extra days before I get to start with the REAL work, LOL

20121001_174908.jpg.jpg
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #27
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well, evidently I need to spend a little time with a dictionary, because it would seem that anything I see that appears "slightly tweaked" (in my words) is in fact, totally FUBAR (in the REAL world) ...

Fixed the frame issue at hand (the crash damage above) without a huge hitch, a little heat, some angle iron and a C-clamp resulted in a broken C-clamp (you get what you pay for) so a NEW C-clamp later and some finessing, and all is well with the drivers side damage.

Did some REAL research on the axle (as mentioned above, YES it turned out to be 3/8" off) and a similar "home-fix" involving a tree stump, a pickup and a come-along made things all well with the world and within about 1/16" of perfect - but after the reassembly, things STILL didn't look "right" - turns out the entire rack is tweaked about 5/8" to port, and the culprit is a serious deformation at the frame where the right leaf spring attaches, complete with stress crack (likely somehow directly involved with whatever bent the axle, I would guess). Looks like some quality time with the grinder and welder are in my future ...

(I'd have pics but I ran to grab the camera and a few beers at the house and lo and behold I seem to have forgotten the camera)

SO - now it looks like I'm putting the cowl on hold for ANOTHER day and figuring out the front end once and for all, I personally would probably just run it the way it is but this one's for the missus and various unsavory characters who may grace my doorstep to drive, so safety first ...

OH - one good thing though, while I was over at my buddies having a beer to celebrate and consternate over having to drive all the way into town to replace the broken C-clamp, I happened to get into a conversation with his neighbor and ended up in his storage shed, where I purchased a really, REALLY nice set of weld-style 13" powdercoated golf cart rims, complete with 205/30-13 tires, all mounted up and ready to bolt onto ??? - for a pretty darn good price. Anyone doing a street cart hit me up, I only bought them because he needed the cash so I would be more than willing to pass them on. They're HUGE rims with really REALLY low-profile skins, but I believe they would likely still require a lift of some sort to utilize, I'll get some measurements in the AM as well as pics of the entire debacle, right now I'm going to grab another beer, pour me a "little one", and get to making the Tamales I promised my other half I was gonna make yesterday (if I simmer off the sauce and meat tonight I figure I'm showing ambition AND dedication, so the Masa and assembly, steaming, etc can wait til tomorrow)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #28
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i bought a set of 12x7 fairway alloy aggressor wheels and 225/35/12 tires and no lift was required for those. not the size of tire i wanted but for the price of the whole setup w/shipping was great deal. i wanted 22x11x12 all terains.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #29
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

These are roughly 20 inches as far as I can guestimate (the good 'ol fashioned "arm test") ... I have been looking for a set of agressive 13" all-terrain tires that won't break that magic 23" limit for the cart but can't find them, that's why I'm hoping someone else can use them - depending on how the front end graft goes I could always step up to 24's, but likely that would involve having some longer springs fabbed up, etc and i really want to try and keep this thing at around a grand with paint ...
Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #30
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i have 5" lift and im sure thats the biggest size i can put on my cart. 79 ezgo gasser.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO