lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: #1 battery loses charge

He is calling the front row passenger side battery #1.

Since he has shuffled the batteries around physically, and the problem stays in the same place, it related to the position rather than the battery.

Unless something that draws power is attached to the battery in that physical location alone, I have no idea why any battery in position #1 drops more than the batteries in the other five positions.

This is really grasping at straws, but is the anything hanging down from the seat bottom when is is closed?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

No Sir JohnnieB, there is nothing hanging...After your response I did double check just to see if the seat was pushing down on the batterys and I have almost an inch clearance.

What about the motor...I did check for continuity at the motor and have it where I should and don't have it where I shouldn't. What happens if the brushes get too worn. Will they hit or rub anything that would cause a short that would drain the battery pack in a short distance. 1/2 to 1 mile...

What about the controller. The positive from the #1 battery goes to the controller. Could there be something in there causing a short or drainage. I just think with that much lost of voltage in that amount of time something would be hot....and its not...no heat, no smell....
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Sounds like an accessory such as lights are connected to just the one battery and is drawing it down
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #14
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

No sir...lights are connected on the other side (drivers side)...The only thing connected to the Positive post of the #1 battery is a small wire making the F/R switch hot....Only thing on the negative post of #1 battery goes to positive of #2 battery.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I sounds crazy but ...... you got a silly situation. Take SG readings on all cells. (or voltage) Paint #1-6 on each battery. Record the SG readings, then take the best battery that is not in position #1 and put it in position #1. Use the cart and retake SG or voltage readings.

I know you said you did this once but the results are crazy so do it again for us.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #16
sunking
Gone Wild

The only possible way battery #1 can drain faster than the other in series is to have some sort of load connected to it like a radio, lights, etc...

In a series circuit, the current in every battery is exactly equal. Unless you have something tapped on it drawing more current.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #17
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

sunking...I agree, there is a pretty good pull from somewhere...As stated before, once the cart sets for a while the batteries equalize. Im thinking the low reading on #1 as soon as I stop is because the pull is greater or faster than the equalization.

ScottyB, I have a new battery I will put in the #1 spot in the morning and drive for a little bit and get back to you with the readings....Also, I will disconnect the lights, even though those two batteries are not affected, just to make sure....
Old 12-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #18
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Draining faster may just mean that that battery is shot.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I started at the beginning, reread this thread and found a couple red flags waving that need to be addressed.

1. The pack voltage after charging is "39 plus".
That is too high, but could be because the voltage was measured too soon after the charging stopped.
Elevated voltage at 100% SoC is also an indicator the batteries are at the end of their useful life.
What is the pack voltage when measured 12 hours after charger turns off?

2. "After driving for a short distance say 1/2 mile, the pack voltage will drop to around say 36.8 +-."
Going from 100% SoC down to 62% SoC in less than a mile means something is drawing a huge number of amps, or the batteries have very little storage capacity, or the voltage reading was taken too soon after cart stopped.
What is the pack voltage when measured 1/2 hour after cart stops?

What Make/Model batteries?
What Make/Model charger?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #20
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncseadad View Post
No sir...lights are connected on the other side (drivers side)...The only thing connected to the Positive post of the #1 battery is a small wire making the F/R switch hot....Only thing on the negative post of #1 battery goes to positive of #2 battery.
There must be something else attached to #1 or cart wouldn't run.
Is #1 Pos also the main cart B+ with a high current cable attached?
Can anyone familiar with Medalist say if there is supposed to be a wire
going to the F/R switch from #1 battery?
Again, a picture would help.

Are there any other wires attached to the Pos of battery #2?
or even to the Neg of battery #2?

You said that the cart was okay but that lately battery #1 is dropping.
What else happened 'lately'? Were there any changes of any kind?
Did you add or remove anything from the cart, electrical or otherwise?
Did you change the charger, did you change the place or way you park?
Is someone different using the cart or even just riding with you?
ANY change or ANY kind that happened 'lately',
(i.e. contemporaneous with the change in the battery voltage...)
remac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO