lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
01kenne
Not Yet Wild

Default electrical help

ok heres the story i bought a 91 cc ds 36v vglide about a month ago from a guy that said it was sitting a year and just needed new batteries. So a week ago I picked up a 82 ezgo 36v with good batteries and a charger. So I played with the ezgo for a week and got the batteries all nice and charged up then figured I would hook them up in the cc to see that it actually does run with just putting batteries in it before I start doing the work that i want to it. So today I go out and did all that and once I got the batteries hooked up I checked over the wiring diagram to make sure they were right then I tried it. Now when I went and got the cc it came with a switch but when I took the body off I seen that it was unwired. So 1st I tried electrical taping the ends to the switch where they needed to be and nothing, then I tried taking the switch out and hooking the 2 wires directly together to bypass the switch and nothing. Then with the wires not touching and no gas I moved the f/r switch around and it started going so I stopped it and then tried it again and the **** thing caught fire so I ripped the one battery connection off quick and got it to stop. Now I think my problem there was that to take the body off I took the handle off the switch and when I did I broke the little pin that holds it together in the back so I put a small cotter pin in just to hold it for now and that was bending and not getting a good connection at all. So after I got the little fire to stop I got as thick of a drill bit as I could to put in there so it would hold it like the pin does until I get out to get one and I hooked all my battery connections back up except for one. I put the switch in forward and touched the battery cable to the terminal and it did nothing so while holding the cable on there I hit the gas pedal and still nothing which was good because the key switch was still not hooked up so it shouldnt do anything. The I put the f/r swith in neutral and touched that same battery cable to the battery and it gave a lot of sparks at the battery. So I dont know what to check for or how to figure out whats going on if anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it and sorry for the long story. Heres some pics to incase its something obvious.

01kenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Default re: electrical help

Hey did you switch around any of the small gauge wires on the back of the charger receptacle or on the f/r switch. My cart which works as it should with the key, is wired totally differently. The 2 small wires that come out of the VGlide are used as the ground control for the solenoid, yours appear to be hooked to positive voltage. Actually it appears as if your 2 small red wires are reversed. On my cart the small red wire coming from the VGlide box is hooked to where your white and red wire are attatched on the rear of the chatge receptacle. The small red wire on the rear of your charge receptacle is attatched to the f/r switch where the fat and medium sized red wires are attatched. Thats the power feed for the key circuit, which then comes back from switch as the blue wire, which feeds the micro switch on f/r assembly, which when activated, powers the solenoid. AND THEN, when you step on throttle, the micro switch in the VGlide applies "ground" to the solenoid and presto the solenoid activates and closes.
phewww did ya get all that, I think I typed it right..I'll take pics tomorrow if needed
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

I found these from before I did some cable and solenoid upgrades, hope these help, I really think those 2 wires are reversed, but I cant see your solenoid to be sure...check a wiring diagram from the stickies...and watch those 2 red wires on your cart real closely, something looks a little screwy there.....but there is always the possibilty of your power and ground circuits being opposite mine, so check a wiring diagram to be sure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0023.jpg (60.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0029.jpg (68.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0028.jpg (73.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0026.jpg (71.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0027.jpg (72.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
01kenne
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the help tomorrow i will take a closer look at the wiring diagram and i will also post closer pics of everything
Old 03-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
01kenne
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: electrical help

ok so today i went back over the wiring diagram and it looks like the only thing I had wired wrong was the red and green wires coming off the bottom of the f/r switch I had going to the same positive instead of different ones. So I made sure all my connections were tight and I had the switch in neutral the red wire still wasnt hooked up but everything else was and I touched the green to the terminal that its supposed to go to and it started sparking real bad again. The we put the switch in forward and touched it again and it did nothing and all this is happening with no key switch wired in at all and no pushing on the gas. So it seems like its always hot when in neutral is this right? Whats going on with this thing, I think it might be a bad f/r switch does that sound like a possibility? Heres some more pics too....

Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Well now that I can see your solenoid, yours is wired up opposite mine, but nevertheless will still work. Yours was wired with the key controlling the ground side of the solenoid, whereas mine is wired with the key controlling the positive side of the solenoid. Either way it should work.. Its a simple check of other components to narrow it down to thje f/r switch. There should be no continuity between the 2 large posts of the solenoid with key off and no throttle. Also pop the cover off the VGlide and look at contacts and wiper arm contact. If all looks good I would think you are shorting across terminals of the f/r switch somehow. Also, not that it matters, but the large green wire should only go to the positive of three batteries(18 Volts) as this is reverse power wire. As you have it wont harm anything except you will go backwards very fast. I hope I have been of some help..I have recently been made very familiar of this system and it all seems good. The coils as suggested earlier shouldnt even come into play until you have stepped on the throttle and sent voltage(36V) thru the solenoid to the VGlide wiper speed control system. Your problems seem to be prior to that point.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
01kenne
Not Yet Wild

yes so far you been a lot of help. I will check all of those things you said in the day light tomorrow. Also I did switch it so the red and green wires were not on the same post but when I went to touch the green to the post it should go to it started sparking. Yea its just weird that it has power with no key switch on the cart anywhere, its sitting in my house. I did look at the wiper arm when I first got it just trying to figure out how the whole thing works and I seen that if you slowly get off the gas it gets stuck on the last couple pieces in there. But if you have it full throttle and then let off it goes the whole way down. I dont think that has anything to do with my problem right now though. It would be nice if its just a problem with the f/r switch and the batteries are still good because when I bought it they said all it needs is batteries so that would be a lot cheaper fix.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car