lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
-GR-
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 23
Default New member and new Club Car owner

I just picked up our first golf cart yesterday. We have been wanting one for a while now because we do a lot of tractor shows. It is a 98 Club Car DS gas. I picked it up for $300. I will have to get some pictures of it then but it is in good shape overall. There is some minor plastic breakage on the rear body panel on the drivers side where the seat rests. There is also a hair line crack in the front left corner of the front cowl.

Apparently it looses spark occasionally and the golf course didn't want to spend money on it. So far though it has been running good and I haven't had any issues yet. I would like it to loose spark so I can trouble shoot it and get whatever I need ordered.

I also want to tinker with it some because it's speed and take off power varies a good bit. One time it will take off great and then another time it seems sluggish and like it doesn't have as much speed. I did notice though that if you let off the gas and then got back in it it would go better.

Overall I love the cart and have plans to put a lift kit, wheels and tires, and also paint the body because I would like to put our sites logo on it for the tractor shows. I am torn on whether I want to do the long travel All sports lift or the super sport. It is going to be a winter project and won't be a big rush to get done. As long as it is done by the spring I will be happy.
-GR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 09-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
1BDPRECEDENT
Gone Wild
 
1BDPRECEDENT's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 795
Default Re: New member and new Club Car owner

Welcome!!!!
1BDPRECEDENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
0517murphy
Redneck in Southside
 
0517murphy's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spencer, Virginia
Posts: 1,252
Default Re: New member and new Club Car owner

0517murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eldon Missouri
Posts: 977
Default Re: New member and new Club Car owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GR- View Post
I just picked up our first golf cart yesterday. We have been wanting one for a while now because we do a lot of tractor shows. It is a 98 Club Car DS gas. I picked it up for $300. I will have to get some pictures of it then but it is in good shape overall. There is some minor plastic breakage on the rear body panel on the drivers side where the seat rests. There is also a hair line crack in the front left corner of the front cowl.

Apparently it looses spark occasionally and the golf course didn't want to spend money on it. So far though it has been running good and I haven't had any issues yet. I would like it to loose spark so I can trouble shoot it and get whatever I need ordered.

I also want to tinker with it some because it's speed and take off power varies a good bit. One time it will take off great and then another time it seems sluggish and like it doesn't have as much speed. I did notice though that if you let off the gas and then got back in it it would go better.

Overall I love the cart and have plans to put a lift kit, wheels and tires, and also paint the body because I would like to put our sites logo on it for the tractor shows. I am torn on whether I want to do the long travel All sports lift or the super sport. It is going to be a winter project and won't be a big rush to get done. As long as it is done by the spring I will be happy.

Red hot clue there chum, I suspect that your RPM limiter is on the fritz or your S/G belt has more slop than a Geordie whores fanny. On the bright side; You can tighten your belt

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
-GR-
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 23
Default Re: New member and new Club Car owner

I did get to tinker with it some more and tried doing the tricks for increasing the speed but I got it to the point where it was hitting the rev limiter so I turned it back until it stopped hitting the rev limiter.

I am going to send the clutches to be machined, new spring and also get new belts for it. All of the belts are shot and cracked big time. I think the speed differences are because of the clutch and the belt wear.

For the life of me I can't get it to not run though so I don't know what would have caused the no spark issue for them to sell it. I am going to keep running it because I want to make sure it is going to be dependable and that it isn't just being a fluke that it keeps running for me.
-GR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eldon Missouri
Posts: 977
Default Re: New member and new Club Car owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GR- View Post
I did get to tinker with it some more and tried doing the tricks for increasing the speed but I got it to the point where it was hitting the rev limiter so I turned it back until it stopped hitting the rev limiter.

I am going to send the clutches to be machined, new spring and also get new belts for it. All of the belts are shot and cracked big time. I think the speed differences are because of the clutch and the belt wear.

For the life of me I can't get it to not run though so I don't know what would have caused the no spark issue for them to sell it. I am going to keep running it because I want to make sure it is going to be dependable and that it isn't just being a fluke that it keeps running for me.
Carry a 10mm wrench with you. If it does fail due to the mystery no spark issue you can remove the rpm limiter ground wire from the block to eliminate that possibility. When I had this problem it turned out to be the coil /igniter unit. The cart would sometimes go for days before quitting but gradually it went progressively lesser distances until finally it would only run for a few minutes before cutting out.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
-GR-
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 23
Default Re: New member and new Club Car owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
Carry a 10mm wrench with you. If it does fail due to the mystery no spark issue you can remove the rpm limiter ground wire from the block to eliminate that possibility. When I had this problem it turned out to be the coil /igniter unit. The cart would sometimes go for days before quitting but gradually it went progressively lesser distances until finally it would only run for a few minutes before cutting out.

Chris.
Thanks. I was hoping it would have died on me already but of course it hasn't. Hard to trouble shoot when nothing is wrong at the time. I am going to start stripping it down to get the body painted in the next couple of weeks. I don't have a bunch of money to dump into it all at once but figured I will do one major thing a month and by spring it should be done hopefully.
-GR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
-GR-
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 23
Default Re: New member and new Club Car owner

I lucked out tonight and the cart finally acted up again. First thing I did was removed the ground wire to the rpm limiter and she was working fine again. I put the ground wire back on just to double check and sure enough it wouldn't start. Then I tapped the limiter with the ratchet and it started. So I took the ground wire back off and taped it up. I am going to order a tach since that is cheaper then a new limiter plus I wouldn't mind the little extra speed with the governor adjusted.
-GR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.