lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Camposupt
Not Yet Wild

Default MCI 350 engine has gas & spark but will not run

I am fairly new to the forum and to working on EZGO engines. I have searched for an answer in previous posts but have missed it if there is one. I at least know that if a problem has an answer that the extremely knowledgeable folks on this forum will have it.

I have a 350 MCI engine in a custom built "Model T". It just quit running and I have not been able to find the problem. The fuel pump is working well. I put a new carb on. I replaced the spark plugs. I have checked the valve gaps and they are all at 007 on a cold engine. I know they are supposed to be 004 on a warm engine but since it will not run..... I have 110 lbs of compression on one cylinder but only 60 lbs on the other. I would like to check/set the timing. I can not get the timing belt cover off due to its proximity to the crankshaft pulley. It looks like I would have to take the clutch off to get to the pulley and because of the engine placement that means I will have to pull the engine.

So.... I have two questions (maybe more), Has anyone had a similar problem (not running with both spark and gas and one cylinder low on compression) and has a simple or simi-simple solution and can I get the #&%*! cover off without having to take off the clutch?
Camposupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
ezgomike
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: MCI 350 engine has gas & spark but will not run

Both cyls are low on compression.

140-160 is good compression.

Time to replace your valves. It's likely your rockers are hitting the valve spring retainers, and the valves cannot close.
ezgomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Pour a little engine oil into each cylinder and retake the compression test. If the compression increases you have worn cylinders / rings. If it does not increase you have worn valves.

Before you tear into the engine have pulled a plug and actually seen it sparking outside the engine?

Dave

Last edited by Dave Box; 10-24-2011 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: sp
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Camposupt
Not Yet Wild

I have pulled the plug. Grounded it and had good spark. I will see if a little oil in the cylinders improves the compression but the engine is pretty new and doesn't have much time on it at all.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Squirt fuel or carb cleaner into carb opening. If it fires and runs for a couple of seconds, fuel may not be reaching your carb. A very low compression cannot activate the diaphragm of your fuel pump. Hence, no pumping action. Raise your compression, as suggested to at least 120.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Camposupt
Not Yet Wild

I'm going to check the compression again today. I have already tried starting ether which didn't work. The fuel pump is working, really shoots the gas out. If I let the engine turn over for a period the spark plugs will come out wet so I'm pretty sure I'm getting gas to the combustion chamber.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I had a similar problem once. I discovered the solution by accident. When I removed the fuel line connection to the carb and then stepped on the gas, the engine run. I had too much fuel in the carb bowl. I simply adjusted the float level.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Camposupt
Not Yet Wild

Thanks worqhors. I will check that as well. It would mean that the old carb and the new one I just put on would have the same problem but stranger things have happened.

To all: I have had a slight emergency that is delaying me from getting back on the "T". I should be able to get back on the problem before the week is out. I appreciate the responses received and ones to come.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO