lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
Garbear
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Melex 252 resistor speed control electrical problem

I purchased what I have gleaned to be a 1985 (appx.) 252 Melex cart. There are electrical issues with it and I'm in the process of trying to rewire it. The speed controller was totally taken apart. Does anyone have drawing or a picture showing how the cables are connected to the board under the copper slide leads? Also any electrical drawings or pics would be greatly appreciated. I have completely stripped the body from the frame and have completed the restoration up to paint. The chassis has had the rusted components removed and new material welded in place. I'm going to cheap out and convert to 3 each 12 volt batteries. Any help would be appreciated.
Garbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Melex 252 resistor speed control electrical problem

Here are the 2 diagrams I have for the 252. this is what I used when I wired up mine. you should only have 2 hook ups on it. Hope this helps. when you are doing this make sure that you take the time and clean all the connections while you have it apart, including the copper contacts on the swipe board. the better the connection, the better it will run, and less heat it will generate.

it's a decent system, but don't expect lightning speed. and with the 3 12 V batteries, don't expect real long run times. If it's a cost thing, for the price of 3 12v batteries you can buy a nice set of used 6V from a local cart place and get longer run time and better service than the 12's will give you.

Good luck to you

Arin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mellex_030-001__pg_122.jpg (58.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Mellex_030-001_pg_123.jpg (51.0 KB, 0 views)
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Garbear
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks for the help Arin. I had found those drawings too. When you look at the drawings the swipe board reflects the back side of the unit. There are four cables to each of the coils and I understand how they connect but I don't know where the solenoid hooks to the board and can't tell if there is another cable that hooks to the other side. I'm really new at this as this is my first attempt to refurbish a golf cart. I am taking everything apart and cleaning all electrical contacts as you suggested. If you have a 252 can you take a photo of the cable side of your swipe board, if it's not to inconvenient? If you can explain how they go maybe I can get it right the first time without any damage or frustration. Brother, thanks for the help. Oh, one other thing I wish I had been in contact with you prior to my purchase of the 3 12V batteries. I'm going to install a battery charge meter so I can tell when they are getting low and if I need to maybe I will check with you as to where I can get hold of used 6Vs, but as of now I'm planning on using what I have. I only gave $50 for the cart and it was complete as far as I can tell except batteries. Just electrically hacked on. I have tested the motor and I know it works as well as the differential so should be good to go when I get it painted and wired.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

OK from the solenoid. you have a cable that runs from it to the throttle arm. this is the piece connected to the gas pedal that moves over the pins on the board that run to the resistor coils. You then have cables from the back of the pins to the coils. the one closest to the "off" position (position when you foot is off the gas) goes to the end of the coils the one with the smaller diameter wire and most coils is the lowest speed coil. then the second up goes to the point where the first and second coils meet then the 3rd pin to the joint of the second and third coil, then last is at the end of the coil pack.

I am out of town but had my wife get me a shot of the that swipe board. you can see how it runs. the solenoid is at the top and you see a cable come around and to thru the center of the throttle arm. it's an odd position for the pic because mine is not in the cart any more. I swapped out my entire drive train for one from a 98 EZGO. I wanted to upgrade to solid state and better speed and I picked up a wrecked 98 with everything I needed including a top for $180 bucks. so why not!

Hope this helps you.

if you need more info let me know!

Arin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Melex swipe board.jpg (181.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Garbear
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks Arin I think now I see the errors of my way. The picture was a great help. Thanks to your wife too!!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Welcome!!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Garbear
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Arin, you're probably going to get upset with me pestering you but I'm still confused. I have attached a couple of wiring pics of my speed control board wiring. It just doesn't look right. Would you mind taking a look at my album to see the pics, since I haven't figured out how to add pics to a message. Also can you give me direction on how to wire the solenoid. The more I look at diagrams to more confused I become. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Garbear, I dont' get upset easy. I know how these things can be. if you can give me a pick of the entire swipe board, and the arm in the position it would be in if you were off the throttle. I can show you how to wire it. as far as the pics go. if you go to the advanced pic section you can up load a pic from there or you can do what I do and upload the pics to a photo site like photobucket and then post the IMG code to the post and it will show up. thats how I do mine. Get me the pic and I will take it and label it up for you and then repost. that should help.

Arin
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Garbear
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Arin, I'm glad your patient because I seem to be totally lost. If you go to the top of this post and press on the my moniker it will take you to my "about me" page. On the right hand side you will find my photo album. I have posted pics to that. If I need to I can certainly post to photobucket if it would be better.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I saw the pics you have, you will need a new pic. I need a straight on shot of the side. I am going take your pic and make you a diagram to follow. so what I am looking for is a shot of the side with the throttle in the off position.(where it would be if you did NOT have your foot on the gas) the side I am looking for is the one where the black lever and the copper pins are facing the camera.

it doesn't have to be super close but close enough to see EVERYTHING on that panel. I can see a couple things that aren't hooked up right but need the whole thing to lay it out properly for you. shoot me the pic and we can go from there.

Yeah going with Photo bucket is definitely the way to go.

Arin

Last edited by BumbleBee; 03-28-2013 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: mo info
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex