lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
sbklf
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1981 2pg blown crankcase seal

After rebuild (piston, cylinder and crank kit) it had an occasional backfire that would blow the fuel pump diaphragm. After about 4 of those it quit pumping fuel and I found the clutch side crankcase seal blown (literally nothing left of the rubber seal lips).

-If timing, which blows the fuel pump, too far advanced or retarded?
-Is it likely that the backfiring blew the crank seal?
-What else causes backfiring?
sbklf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1981 2pg blown crankcase seal

The backfire is absolutely what blew out the seal, and diaphragm. It's caused by not having a spring on the end of your throttle cable.

The spring makes sure that the throttle plate stays closed until the pedal switch makes contact. It will also smooth out your throttle response so you can putt around the yard real slow. I suspect that right now, your throttle is very touchy.

Look at my two pictures in this thread. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...djustment.html

Find an ink pen, and rob the spring from it.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I installed a spring on mine after the fresh rebuild last year and it cured the backfire issue (Thanks to Cart Around), But now lately it's backfiring again....

Looking into it I've discovered that not all pen springs are created equal, The one I used was able to work itself about halfway through the cable hole in the throttle lever ffs. I've got an APB out for a bigger one, Yep it's not easy being me. Ughhh!!
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Try a small washer that just fits over the cable, and is bigger than your spring.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Yep thought about that, might have to make one. I really do need to fix it as soon as I can before it blows a seal.

For now I have discovered that when stopping if I leave the peddle down just far enough for the ignition to remain hot (engine idle for a few seconds) it doesn't backfire when starting again
Old 09-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This is the exact problem that you had 3 years ago. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...backwards.html

Was it ever fixed? Did you keep running it, and replace diaphragms, or has it been sitting since then?

You are building up a lot of back pressure. Have you ever cleaned the exhaust?

I really don't think it's timing. That should be set in the center so it will run in either direction. Moving the timing will just make it run better in one direction.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #7
sbklf
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I understand and know the importance of the throttle/ignition coordination, have the spring (a found that pen springs are too weak for my carb) and am pretty sure it is set correctly but will check it again thanks for the reminder. Yes same problem from 3yrs ago, the piston is in correctly and the muffler is new. I also converted it to HEI ignition and installed a new pulse coil and it did not make a difference. Regarding your timing comment, since it runs both directions is it correct that if I retard the timing for forward direction it will then be more advanced in reverse?
sbklf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbklf View Post
Regarding your timing comment, since it runs both directions is it correct that if I retard the timing for forward direction it will then be more advanced in reverse?
As far as I know, there is only one trigger point on the crankshaft. Giving one takes from the other.

Pages L-13 through L-18 give very good instructions, and the timing curve.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Try a small washer that just fits over the cable, and is bigger than your spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Yep thought about that, might have to make one. I really do need to fix it as soon as I can before it blows a seal.

For now I have discovered that when stopping if I leave the peddle down just far enough for the ignition to remain hot (engine idle for a few seconds) it doesn't backfire when starting again
Follow up;

Ok I couldn't find a bigger spring so I made a washer tonight, My buddies don't call me Mcguyver for nothing. I couldn't get a decent pic of the finished product but here's the materials I used, Success!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180910_201615.jpg (283.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO