lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
CPS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Hit 33mph on my 295cc Robin today!

After making one more modification to the stock governer spring and readjusting the intake and exhaust valves, I finally hit the max speed of my cart without hitting the rev limiter, 33mph! This was done on a flat straight away near my home. When I looked down at the tachometer it read 2,600 rpms. This is the screen shot from speedometer app on my iPhone!

03878449-5CC6-4F9B-A2C3-5FA67E887E9B.jpg
CPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2018, 03:35 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hit 33mph on my 295cc Robin today!

I guess your tach is way out and your engine is about to grenade on you. To get those speeds, your engine is probably revving around 5500 rpm.

Just sayin!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
CPS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I guess your tach is way out and your engine is about to grenade on you. To get those speeds, your engine is probably revving around 5500 rpm.

Just sayin!
Cartmaster,
I just went out to the cart and took a few pictures of my extremely accurate Oppama Tachometer then a split second later took a picture of the tachometer. As I turned from taking the picture of the Oppama Tach reading to take the picture of the Equus tach reading, the engine was warming up so the rpms were dropping. So in the Equus tach reading pictures, you will notice they are about 100 rpms off. I only have two hands, so when I hold the accelerator pedal steady, both the Oppama and Equus gauge were spot on.
So, the RPM’s are correct, and NO the engine is not going to gernade! Lol
You also need to remember, I have my cart geared for speed, and not climbing. That said, my RPM’s will be lower than most other carts.
And on top of that, I own a small Engine Repair business and have been a mechanic in this field since 1995, so I kinda know what I’m talking about!

27ACD2AD-7E39-428B-A5D7-73679AA10375.jpg

141986BD-B1BD-4194-9031-6BBA6DE9BF6C.jpg

2968A39F-6783-46D8-93EC-4AAB6CC8BE6F.jpg

3314774F-34EB-48BD-86DC-94323A2C419D.jpg
Old 10-04-2018, 01:48 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Point taken.

I was not aware of your gearing as i have not come across any posts of yours previously. Now i know you are in full control, i will stop worrying.

I simply scanned your comments and wrongly assumed the worst. Thank you for clarifying.

Mind you, we do have something in common, my initials are CPS.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
CPS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Point taken.

I was not aware of your gearing as i have not come across any posts of yours previously. Now i know you are in full control, i will stop worrying.

I simply scanned your comments and wrongly assumed the worst. Thank you for clarifying.

Mind you, we do have something in common, my initials are CPS.
No problem at all! Yes, my initials are C.P.S. too.....
Have a good day!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:52 AM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I know a few golfers who would love to use that cart to play 18 holes.

When I did play golf we had this one person that tried to get to his ball before it landed.

Did you change the gear ratio in rear axle ? I am guessing you are running 26 inch tires if you didn't do that. I got 26 mph out of a 1999 club car but it had 26 inch tires on it? I tried to get it to climb hill with four people on it and no way.

I messed around with the clutch set up and it would then hit rev limiter.

I seen no way to have both climbing power and top speed so I just put it back like it was and told him to buy a truck lol
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
CPS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I know a few golfers who would love to use that cart to play 18 holes.

When I did play golf we had this one person that tried to get to his ball before it landed.

Did you change the gear ratio in rear axle ? I am guessing you are running 26 inch tires if you didn't do that. I got 26 mph out of a 1999 club car but it had 26 inch tires on it? I tried to get it to climb hill with four people on it and no way.

I messed around with the clutch set up and it would then hit rev limiter.

I seen no way to have both climbing power and top speed so I just put it back like it was and told him to buy a truck lol
Yes, I do have high speed gears (10.67:1 helical) in my buggy! And, I have 22” tall tires.
And yes, the trade off for a higher speed is lower pulling power and vice versa. I can haul 4 adults on my buggy, but my speed drops to about 20-24 mph with 4 adults. I have rebuilt my drive clutch and have a brand new 28 degree clutch on the transaxle. I also have a severe duty GBoost drive belt. And I have modified my governor.
If I was to take off my rear seat assembly, front brush guard, roof/windshield; I would shed about 200 lbs. So I’m sure I “COULD” get my buggy to hit 36-38 mph.
I’m not going to though because my 8 year old drives my buggy too!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPS View Post
If I was to take off my rear seat assembly, front brush guard, roof/windshield; I would shed about 200 lbs. So I’m sure I “COULD” get my buggy to hit 36-38 mph.
I’m not going to though because my 8 year old drives my buggy too!
Not to mention the aerodynamic gains of losing the roof/windshield alone. Those make a huge difference! I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3-5mph gain just taking that off.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
CPS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Not to mention the aerodynamic gains of losing the roof/windshield alone. Those make a huge difference! I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3-5mph gain just taking that off.
Yep! I think a 3-5mph from the windshield and 2-3mph from the seat and front bumper.
So a 40mph cart just might be possible!
Old 10-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

With that much speed I would make sure my brakes are tip top. You ever seem one of these TXTs that flipped.
We had two golfers get hurt after they flipped one over .
They blamed the mechanic at the time. ME :)
You name it and I have just about seen what golfers would do for more speed on our golf carts.
Be careful and enjoy your ride
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO