lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Anopsis
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 03 TXT Robin EH29C - weak spark?

I bought this cart a couple of weeks ago, and it started and ran perfectly. The seller told me if it sat for a few days he had to choke it for a bit to get it started.

The next night I started it to show my kids; then it sat for a week before I tried again. Now it won't start. I choked it and spun the engine until I was smelling gas; pulled the plugs and they were soaked. I went ahead and put fresh plugs in it, gapped at .032 and plugged a spark tester in line (a harbor freight one). The light was there but was dim in my opinion. I had my wife video record it while I was spinning the engine, but she was too far away for you to see the light.

Anyway, I plugged the same tester inline on my mower, which has a Kawasaki 22HP twin, and the light was noticeably brighter than on the cart.

I'm wondering what could have happened just sitting there for a week, and is the more dim light in the tester a sign that maybe the current coming from the coil is weak?

You can't see the light really, but you can see & hear the motor spin here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJPYTxGlACk

It won't even try to light. What is the next thing to test? I have a decent mechanical aptitude but I also suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and as I've gotten older, it gets harder and harder to not feel overwhelmed by projects. If you can help me, please don't assume I know anything about carts, because I don't - and break it down as well as you can.

Thanks for the help!
Anopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 03 TXT Robin EH29C - weak spark?

I would start off doing a load test on the battery. See what the standing voltage is, and then compare it to the voltage drop while cranking.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
Anopsis
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

cart around,

Thanks for the reply. I don't know if you clicked on the video link in my post, but it's turning over great - wouldn't it spin slower if the voltage was dropping during start?

Plus, at one point (not in the video) I had a charger/starter connected at the same time. Wouldn't that rule out the battery?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
Anopsis
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Another thing, I read about ground issues with these carts (I think) - could that cause a weak spark?

The previous owner did a hack job of wiring up lights and stereo, and removed the reverse warning beep, maybe something is/was poorly connected?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:27 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

first thing i would do is to check the valve lash, i expect you to find the inner two valves have no gap. reset to .oo4 thou and you may find your issue is solved. I am assuming you have the original robin twin cylinder engine fitted as standard as you mentioned Plugs "plural". this is a very common issue with that engine even with the upgraded harder valves. Mainly caused by a badly fitting airfilter allowing dust etc into the engine. If you know someone with a compression tester, it will be obvious if the guy knows how to differentiate between vale leakage and piston ring leakeage by doing what is known as wet and dry testing.

This is my first thought as you mention it was hard to start at first and now will not start at all.

If the valves are good, then the transition jetting in the carb may be blocked along with the drilling supplying it. a good thorough cleaning will solve this. These engines usually show poorly with a spark tester but as long as it sparks consistently it should be fine.

Both very easy jobs and if you need more help, just ask. you should be able to use the search function to get any info you need. there is a walkthrough in the tech section showing how to check and adjust valve lash. If you dont have feeler guages, there is a very simple way to get it good enough to run again i think mentioned in that same thread. It was posted either by Ruredy EZGOMike or Bob O if i recall correctly.

EDIT.
Saved you searching, here is a link.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...djustment.html
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:54 AM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Cartmaster and others are better at answering your particular question than I can do. They will have you up and running soon.

However, as you stated this is your first cart (your other thread) so I will say this: Don't tow it backward. The seat and the windshield will easily blow out/off the cart. If you must tow this way, secure the seat and remove the windshield or secure it somehow.

Hope this helps!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:08 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

That was random Mooncarter?
But i get your pointing it out due to the Avatar picture, although i can see why it is that way round. The rear seat will foul on the ramp/tailgate. plus with the trailer axle being nearer the back it might affect noseweight.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:31 AM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
That was random Mooncarter?
But i get your pointing it out due to the Avatar picture, although i can see why it is that way round. The rear seat will foul on the ramp/tailgate. plus with the trailer axle being nearer the back it might affect noseweight.
Random? Not at all. This fellow posted in "Introductions" and I welcomed him.

I noted the orientation of the cart. He stated there he was a novice. Technical questions are not allowed in the "Introductions" section. I also noted above "other thread."

Just trying to do things the right way.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:38 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Just pulling your leg old chap. you are too far away to thump me LOL.

Lets just hope we can get his cart running.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
Anopsis
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
This is my first thought as you mention it was hard to start at first and now will not start at all.
Cartmaster, it started instantly and easily when I picked it up from the guy; possibly (probably) he had it warmed up before I arrived. He told me it always started easily unless it'd been sitting for a few days, in which case he had to choke it several times. I did start it without difficulty the next day. But after sitting for a week, here we are. Would the valve lash still be suspect? I do have feeler gauges so I'll check out the thread you linked. Thanks!
Another thought I had is that all the cranking I did with the choke and flooding it, perhaps the cylinders are washed down and there's no compression?
I should check the valves anyway, but a friend told me to shoot some carb cleaner in the carburetor when turning it over, and see if it tries to start. If so, he suggested dropping a spoonful of oil in the plug holes to lube the rings. Yes/no? Seemed simple enough to try.

EDIT: After reading through the valve adjustment guide, I see no reason not to just do that first. Doesn't look like a big deal and will at least mark that off the list before I try anything else. Still, I am concerned that all the cranking I did on it beforehand may have washed down the rings, so thoughts on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
However, as you stated this is your first cart (your other thread) so I will say this: Don't tow it backward. The seat and the windshield will easily blow out/off the cart. If you must tow this way, secure the seat and remove the windshield or secure it somehow.
Thanks Mooncarter, valuable tip! It wasn't my intention to tow it that way - I have another, slightly larger trailer with a tilt bed I'm using going forward. I had no idea it wouldn't fit on this one until I arrived 3.5 hours away!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO