lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
sdeatherage
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo gas issue

My cart is a 2001 I use it almost every day running kids to and from school. It runs great for many years. I service it often and really have no issues. Once or twice a year I have to install new plugs as it gets hard to start. SO that recently happened and the new plugs within a few days were acting old again. It was really hard to start when its at operating temp.

It acts like its flooded. Ive adjusted the valves several times double checking them, just installed a new ignition coil, and I went through the carburetor but didn't find anything wrong that I could see. I checked for a vacum leak at the carb and installed a new air filter.

No matter what now it seems a little weak on power and almost will not start when hot. I did a compression check both cylinders were exactly 120 psi.

The fuel pump seems really week to me when I start it in neutral i can watch it fill and to me it has about half a filter full of fuel its just trickling into the filter. Oh yeah I replaced the fuel filter too.

S0 my next option I was going to replace the fuel pump but I honestly don't think its that why would it start cold but not hot. I think its the carburetor but I was told don't buy a after market carb so now I'm facing buying anew EZGO brand carb and Im sure thats pricey. I hate to keep throwing parts at it but I just don't know what else to do.Any help would be great. Its a great cart but its driving me nuts right now. So much Im thinking of buying a new Yamaha EFI!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1380.jpg (147.6 KB, 0 views)
sdeatherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help!!!! Ezgo gas issue

The compression is low for that engine. 170 is what I would want to see but 150 would be ok. Is you compression gauge accurate ?
I think what you seeing in the fuel filter is normal. I would not order any new parts yet.
When you adjusted the valves did you see more threads on the intake than exhaust valves ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:01 AM   #3
Cranbrook
Not Yet Wild

I would also check and see if both of your spark plugs are firing.

I just replaced the ignition coil on my Medalist and after just a few short runs found the new coil was only sparking in one cylinder.
Cranbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

When you cleaned the carb did you clean both jets? Main and pilot? Pilot is the small one next to the main and has a tiny hole all the way through. I usually take 1 strand of like 12 ga wire to run through that.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Both Trig and Kgsc have good points.

Before you spend any more $$ I would completely disassemble the carb, soak it over night in carb cleaner, then blow out all passages with compressed air.

The passages in that carb are very small and does not take much to create a issue.

120 lbs compression is a little low, but will still run ok.

The compression and valve issue is a gradual process with gradual effects.
You may have both issues, but since your problem seemed to come on all at once, I would be looking at the carb.

If the valves have wore into the head and compression is 120, its is just a matter of time for a rebuild.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
sdeatherage
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys here today’s update. Because I ordered a new fuel pump yesterday and it’s not going to be here till Tuesday I figured I would tinker more. So I double check led the valve adjustment both cold and hot. They are .004 cold and hot I cold get a .006 feeler gauge in but not a .010. So I decided to pull the carb again and I completely disassembled it and clean every passage with brake clean and blew it out very well. I found nothing wrong. I even set the idle of the butterfly with a flash light so it was perfect not opened at all. After that I fired it up and it starts immediately. I make a lap around the Neighnorhood and pull back in the driveway and stop. Try to start it and it will barely run.

I still am amazed at how little fuel is in the filter. When I start it in neutral and bring it up to speed the filter is almost empty. So I blow out the fuel lines including the pickup tube hoping to find something plugged up. But as expected everything was clear. So I blow through the line into the filter leading to the carb. It blows all the fuel to the carb. So the filter is completely empty.

Now I fire it up in neutral and it runs but weak. I’m amazed the filter is bone dry. I’m literally scratching my head thinking the bowl will eventually dry up and the motor will die but it doesn’t. I’m almost convinced the fuel pump is bad based on zero fuel in the filter.

I once again do a compression check and get 120-130 range. I also check the spark plugs with them not installed in the motor and the coil seems to be firing good to me. It should be It’s brand new I installed it yesterday. So for now I find nothing wrong except the fuel or lack of fuel in the filter. I’d be so happy if a new fuel pump fixes my problem but am I just wishful thinking.

It does seem to backfire a lot more than normal. Maybe it’s a lean pop from no fuel. Possible there’s just enough fuel to run in neutral but under a load it just doesn’t have enough fuel to keep up.

For now I’m waiting on Mr UPS man to bring me a new fuel pump. I guess if nothing else the cart looks good. BUt im ready to set it on fire lol. Below are a few picks from todays adventure.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
sdeatherage
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
The compression is low for that engine. 170 is what I would want to see but 150 would be ok. Is you compression gauge accurate ?
I think what you seeing in the fuel filter is normal. I would not order any new parts yet.
When you adjusted the valves did you see more threads on the intake than exhaust valves ?
I paid close attention today and the threads were exactly the same on the intake and the exhaust. So I don't think a valve sinking in the seat is my problem.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Why not use a bottle and piece of fuel line and gravity feed the carb before spending the $ on a fuel pump? And have you checked the pulse line to make sure the fuel pump is getting thr vacuum pulse it needs to work?

Agreed compression seems awfully low for that engine. If a fuel pump works, great. But I'd still plan on a rebuild in the near future if your gauge is accurate.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I agree with CP241.

I would also replace all the fuel lines if they are original and make sure clamps are tight, if the clamps look bad replace them.

The engine will run with 120 pounds of compression but not top notch. More compression the better it runs. You should look to have 170 pounds if you want top performance.

Might be time for a rebuild if you gauge is accurate. Check it with another one if you can.

If you are worried about the pump then remove the line going to carburetor . Stick hose in a can or bottle and see what kind of flow you have. Look close at all the fuel hoses like I mentioned. The fuel pickups on these things were bad to come lose and fall in tank. Make sure yours is tight.

Nice cart by the way. Every plan on getting rid of it I would be interested if you don't want to rework engine. That is if the compression is really 120 pounds.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:32 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

You usually do not see much fuel in the filter if any, so that may not be indicating a problem. Looking at your fuel pump, there is a small filter built in that you can see in the picture (looks like lots of tiny brass balls inside a raised ring) that looks clogged up to me. Give it a good clean out with carb cleaner and an airline and do as previously suggested, remove the hose from the carb and point it into a jug. then spin the engine and see if you get a strong continuous pulse of fuel coming out of the hose. Maybe do this test before and after cleaning that little filter and see if it make a difference. The filter allows air to pass which allows the pump diaphram to fluctuate and operate the pump valves. If dirty and no air is allowed to pass, then the pump will be weak.

As trig, says, the cart should run at 120 psi, but not well, so if your guage is accurate, try putting a little oil ( a spoonfull) down the plug holes and test again. If the compression rises significantly, then your rings are shot. If there is no change, then suspect valves or head gasket to be the problem. either way, at 120 psi, you are looking at an overhaul.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO