lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Need help to identify sound

I have a grinding sound that appears to come for the rear of the cart. I want to say it is a bad rear wheel bearing but no sure. Some facts. Isn't very loud when I first take off in the cold cart. Then as I drive down the street a 1/4 mile or so it gets louder. At times I think it is the knobby tires but then when I go down a hill or am off the accelerator the sound fades down to what would not otherwise bother me. I have always maintained the proper oil level in the differential but .... Anyone have a clue for me or have a method to identify the grinding sound. I have jacked it up but don't get the grinding sound so must need to have pressure on the bearing?? Wish I knew what it is so I can fix it. Thanks to all.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help to identify sound

If possible make a video with sound of course and upload it to YouTube. Then post the link here so we can listen to it.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I tried to make a video but the sound of the modified exhaust, the drive belt, the knobby tires and the grinding sound kind of all blend together. So it is not just one sound to record.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Generally speaking (and this is generic terms, not cart specific) if you have a noise/vibration on acceleration and it goes away or nearly goes away when you let off, it's driveline related so you can ignore wheel bearings. If the wheels are spinning, the wheel bearings are spinning so they'll always make noise.

Driveline would be transmission, drive shaft, rear end. Golf cart doesn't have most of these parts, but it does have a clutch and a pinion/input shaft going into the rear end. I think this is probably where I would focus on starting the search.

Putting the rear of the cart up on jack stands may help you. If it makes the noise with the rear wheels up in the air, you can have someone hit the gas pedal and you can listen from the rear with a stethoscope or something to try and pinpoint the noise. IF not you may have to become a bit of an acrobat and have someone else drive it while you listen.

I definitely wouldn't drive it too much until you can find the noise and fix it. What right now may be a $10 bearing could very quickly turn into a $400 problem if something lets loose.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO