lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
undrh2o
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 EZGO TXT lacking power

So we got this cart 4 years ago for our use at our RV campground which is quite hilly.

Even though it was running fine it had a tune up last year with new air filter, oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, drive belt and plugs the compression was checked at the same time and showed 170 dry and 210 wet. It continued to run fine until late in the season when it started to show a big drop in power, to the point that with the kids (3 and 6) and 2 adults in the cart it wouldn't make it up the hill from the beach - one adult would have to hop off and walk.

Digging into it this season, here is what we've done - NOTE ALL of these steps have resulted in no increase in power:

- We've checked that the drive and driven clutches are doing what they should by watching them while sitting on a board instead of the seat, belt is not slipping

- One cylinder had a spark plug that was producing a weak spark - it didn't look too fouled but had some carbon on it - we cleaned the plug and the spark got stronger but the power didn't - replaced both plugs today

- We took a look at the carb, the throttle is going to the stop - the govenor is not pulling back the throttle on the uphill, so we suspected some sort of gumming etc. - since amazon had a carb for $23CDN we changed it instead of rebuilding.

- the compression was checked today and found to be around 150, so we did a valve clearance adjustment and set everything to .004 - the intakes were at 0, after adjustment the compression is now 180 dry on both.

- Checked fuel delivery from the fuel pump when the carb was off and it seems fine

-Checked the timing marks at TDC and the condition/ tension of the timing belt - all OK

- It always has stabilizer in the premium fuel and was parked with a full tank over the winter.

Any ideas what to do next?
undrh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 EZGO TXT lacking power

Does it have a lift kit on it with larger tires ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You have already done the most important thing of adjusting the valves.
I would say now you need to measure how wide your drive belt is. An older cart uses 1 3/16" belt. Anything under an inch is junk. I am not 100% sure about your cart, so have somebody else verify those dimensions.
While the belt is off, squeeze the driven clutch plates together with one hand. If you can make them lean towards each other, the clutch is worn out.

The next thing to do is run a healthy dose of SeaFoam through the cart. It will clean out any deposits.
You should also quit wasting your money on premium gas, and quit storing a full tank of gas over the winter. Run the cart dry for storage, and always mix SeaFoam with every tank of gas.
Ethanol is bad. Premium gas uses ethanal to increase the octane rating. Your low compression engine does not benefit from the increased octane of premium, and could be suffering from the added ethanol due to the absorption of water.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
undrh2o
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Does it have a lift kit on it with larger tires ?
Stock suspension and tires
Old 05-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrh2o View Post

- We took a look at the carb, the throttle is going to the stop - the govenor is not pulling back the throttle on the uphill, so we suspected some sort of gumming etc. - since amazon had a carb for $23CDN we changed it instead of rebuilding.

Any ideas what to do next?
I'd start by cleaning the OEM carb really well and using the chinese (junk) carb for new bowl gaskets. That's about all it's good for. You're opening yourself up to more issues with the cheap carb.

I'd also consider replacing the spark plug wires if you haven't already. They are probably original from when the cart was built... and now old enough to drive a car legally.

Make sure your cables and springs on the governor and from governor to carburetor are in good shape and move freely. If the cables are sticky at all, replace them. A simple $15 cable can make ALL the difference in how a cart runs.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
undrh2o
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
You have already done the most important thing of adjusting the valves.
I would say now you need to measure how wide your drive belt is. An older cart uses 1 3/16" belt. Anything under an inch is junk. I am not 100% sure about your cart, so have somebody else verify those dimensions.
While the belt is off, squeeze the driven clutch plates together with one hand. If you can make them lean towards each other, the clutch is worn out.

The next thing to do is run a healthy dose of SeaFoam through the cart. It will clean out any deposits.
You should also quit wasting your money on premium gas, and quit storing a full tank of gas over the winter. Run the cart dry for storage, and always mix SeaFoam with every tank of gas.
Ethanol is bad. Premium gas uses ethanal to increase the octane rating. Your low compression engine does not benefit from the increased octane of premium, and could be suffering from the added ethanol due to the absorption of water.
I'll check the clutch plates but the belt is running all th way out to the edge of the drive clutch on the uphill and the belt is an OEM with the ezgo part number right on it (and it ran fine with that belt before losing power) I'll check it anyway

I use seafoam as my stabilizer In every jerry can of gas

In Canada most places dont put ethanol in ther 91 octane gas so I've always put it in my motorcycles, etc

. I'll try changeing out the gas for fresh sometime next week.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I have replaced several driven clutches for the exact same thing your cart is doing.

When I was working at a golf course I just put new ones on them. I had way too many more things to do than rebuild these things. Now that I am retired I repair if I can

They wear out and you will think its the engine low on power. Run fine until you hit a hill and then they won't pull. Feels almost like it is starving for fuel. The belt does wear but I only replaced a few in 15 years working a golf course

You can rebuild the driven clutch if they are not too bad. I made a tool in my shop for rebuilding these things. I used scrap I had laying around. Made it very simple to take em apart

Not saying that is your problem but just looking at it on the cart will not tell you its bad. You can actually twist it and feel the tension. The problem is most people don't know how they are supposed to feel. Should take a good bit of force to twist it with your hands.

The driven clutch in this picture was removed by someone who didn't know how. He used a metal rod instead of wood. A good 2x4 works to get em off if you have nothing else laying around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0266.jpg (248.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0267.jpg (257.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0268.jpg (238.9 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
undrh2o
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I have replaced several driven clutches for the exact same thing your cart is doing.

When I was working at a golf course I just put new ones on them. I had way too many more things to do than rebuild these things. Now that I am retired I repair if I can

They wear out and you will think its the engine low on power. Run fine until you hit a hill and then they won't pull. Feels almost like it is starving for fuel. The belt does wear but I only replaced a few in 15 years working a golf course

You can rebuild the driven clutch if they are not too bad. I made a tool in my shop for rebuilding these things. I used scrap I had laying around. Made it very simple to take em apart

Not saying that is your problem but just looking at it on the cart will not tell you its bad. You can actually twist it and feel the tension. The problem is most people don't know how they are supposed to feel. Should take a good bit of force to twist it with your hands.

The driven clutch in this picture was removed by someone who didn't know how. He used a metal rod instead of wood. A good 2x4 works to get em off if you have nothing else laying around.
Thanks for this, we've changed the gas and its likely the driven clutch. I guess even viewing it in action was not definitive. I have the spring ramp buttons and screws already.

Elsewhere I saw a suggestion to use a strap wrench to clock it/ tension it when reassembling any other tips?

P.S. since it is at a campground there are other carts to compare with and it is easier to move than another proper running cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO