lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
mygift31
Not Yet Wild

Default cart just quit!

Brother was riding my 87 ezgo and he said it sputtered and just quit. I have checked all connections and took the fw switch apart and cleaned it. Still no power. Any ideas?
mygift31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: cart just quit!

Start with checking the fuse
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
mygift31
Not Yet Wild

The fuse is good!
Old 07-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

within the art of troubleshooting the hardest rule to teach is, simplest first....what could have upset the "Process" in our case the process is a running cart. possibly ran out of gas, trash in tank, broke wire, ran over a squirrel....
check the fuel or spark first, than the other, if you have both cart should run
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
mygift31
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your input, however I probably didn't make myself clear. I have nothing! No clicking or anything. I'm thinking something electrical.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Is the battery charged? Maybe clean the battery terminals and the battery posts. Do you have a volt meter? Put the meter on the battery and make sure you have at least 12.5 volts. If you do, step on the pedal and see if it dips down or not, if so then how far does the voltage drop?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The 87 control circuit goes like this...

From the battery to the large lug of the solenoid, a small wire splits off and goes fuse, key switch, neutral safety switch, pedal switch, small terminal of the solenoid. The other small terminal on the solenoid goes to ground which is most likely the bottom lug of the forward reverse switch.

This is what you do.
We are looking to see where you lose power.
One wire of your meter on the negative battery post. The other wire will check that entire series circuit. You can start at the large solenoid lug first, then the fuse, hot side of key switch, keyed side of switch. (turn it on, and off) Then go to each side of the neutral switch. It is located on the passenger side of the FnR switch down low. If that checks good, proceed to both sides of the pedal switch, and finally to the small terminal of the solenoid.
If that all checks out, you can then positively say that the problem is the ground side of the circuit.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
The 87 control circuit goes like this...

From the battery to the large lug of the solenoid, a small wire splits off and goes fuse, key switch, neutral safety switch, pedal switch, small terminal of the solenoid. The other small terminal on the solenoid goes to ground which is most likely the bottom lug of the forward reverse switch.

This is what you do.
We are looking to see where you lose power.
One wire of your meter on the negative battery post. The other wire will check that entire series circuit. You can start at the large solenoid lug first, then the fuse, hot side of key switch, keyed side of switch. (turn it on, and off) Then go to each side of the neutral switch. It is located on the passenger side of the FnR switch down low. If that checks good, proceed to both sides of the pedal switch, and finally to the small terminal of the solenoid.
If that all checks out, you can then positively say that the problem is the ground side of the circuit.

This is the best explanation of how to trouble shoot electrical problems I've seen, Thank You CA. I saved it
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
mygift31
Not Yet Wild

Thank you CA. I have been busy for a couple of days and maybe I'll be able to check it out tomorrow or Tue. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygift31 View Post
Brother was riding my 87 ezgo and he said it sputtered and just quit. I have checked all connections and took the fw switch apart and cleaned it. Still no power. Any ideas?
I'll be interested to see what it is. Mine did the exact same thing yesterday.
orangecart75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO