lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2020, 07:43 AM   #1
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G1 oil usage rate?

How fast should a G1 go through a tank of oil? Mine runs great, but the oil level never seems to go down.
I can premix to be safe, but would like to keep it stock.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 oil usage rate?

Here is the G1 for Newbies thread
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=76176

A tank of oil will last a long long time. The factory oil injection system mixes at a rate of 150:1 (according to the service manual). If you want to premix, as most of us did, you'll want to disconnect and remove the oil injection pump and tank so someone can't accidentally add oil and have too much oil in the fuel.

Premix ratio has been discussed on this forum hundreds of times. You will get all kinds of opinions. Here's what worked for me.

I started out with a synthetic premix oil called "Opti-2". It's a one mix fits all oil for 2 strokes that mixes at 70:1 ratio. It worked great, with very little smoke. It's expensive though. It comes in 1.8 oz packets that are designed to mix with 1 gallon containers of fuel. It can be purchased in a bottle where you have to measure it out. You see this stuff at all the small engine shops around here, it's a really good oil.

After reading the manual I started experimenting. I used "Echo" brand synthetic air cooled 2 cycle oil in the bottle. I used an online ratio calculator. I started with 50:1 and it was a mosquito fogger and left oil in the muffler. I tried 75:1 and it was better, but not as good with the Opti-2. I tried 85:1 and it was really good. I tried 100:1 and it was the best yet, no smoke and good power. I eventually went to 120:1 and that's where I kept it until I sold the engine. I have built 3 G1's with the stock engine and used 120:1 on all 3.

The original engine in my cart was run with 120:1 for years and I even disassembled it and inspected the cylinder for wear.....almost no wear! I could still see the cross hatch pattern, it looked new. So I knew it was a good ratio for long term use. And I ran the snot out of that little engine. I even had a 250 Enticer snowmobile top end on it for a while that ran 7000 rpm.

So, my vote is Echo brand air cooled 2 cycle oil premixed at 120:1 with good non ethanol fuel, or with ethanol treatment, and I used minimum 91 octane fuel since I ran the cart in the summer.

Note: Make sure the oil you use is "Synthetic air cooled 2 cycle oil" and not "marine 2 cycle oil" there's a huge difference.

Note: If you use an ethanol fuel treatment, Lucas and Stabil make really good products. Stabil will also stabilize your fuel for the winter. Just make sure it says "Ethanol Treatment".
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks SLONOMO. I actually left you a note on another thread trying to figure this out. Wish me luck.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

One tank of oil should last roughly 10 tanks of fuel.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #5
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
One tank of oil should last roughly 10 tanks of fuel.
Thanks. I’m gonna top off with premix while I feed the oil line into a container. After I use the tank of gas, I’ll measure the oil and do the magic math to see if it’s oiling correctly.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
Thanks. I’m gonna top off with premix while I feed the oil line into a container. After I use the tank of gas, I’ll measure the oil and do the magic math to see if it’s oiling correctly.
When you say "top off with premix", that sounds like a recipe for disaster. If there is "oil free" fuel in the tank, that's drastically gonna change your mix ratio. You can easily ruin a motor in less than one tank of gas for too little, or no oil.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
When you say "top off with premix", that sounds like a recipe for disaster. If there is "oil free" fuel in the tank, that's drastically gonna change your mix ratio. You can easily ruin a motor in less than one tank of gas for too little, or no oil.
Semantics my son.. yes, fill it from empty to full with a premix.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Hey, just wanna make sure we are all on the same page. No sense in uselessly tearing up equipment.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha