lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
joe gi
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 48 volt club starts then stops

Hi All

I am new to carts and was given this electric club car. I am looking for some advice. I have read a couple threads discribing resetting the OBC but I haven't seen any thing that discribes the symptoms and why one should reset, and what the outcome would be. This cart begins to move but if the accelerator is pushed very far or if the load is inceased (as in a bump) a solinoid clicks and the cart stops. If I back off the accelerator and reapply, it begins to move but will repeat the shut down again when enough load (very little) is applied. Works the same in F or R. There are 2 solinoids aft of the batteries. The throttle potensiometer is suspect but I am not sure. The microswitch works good. If it was the potentiometer I would think the cart would begin to move after backing of the accelerator, But you have to back all the way off so as to open the microswitch circuit and reapply the acceleator. Any ideas?
joe gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 48 volt club starts then stops

Welcome Joe! Good bit of diagnostics, replace the micro and see? Also you could check the potentiometer output. It should be 5k - 0
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
joe gi
Not Yet Wild

Is this how a cart acts with low battery voltage?

I charged it two days ago and 1 hr after charge, it had 50 volts. This morning it has 45 volts and I have only been doing some trouble shooting.

Has anyone tried four 12 volt optima (gel cell) batteries in a 48 volt cart, or three for a 36 volt?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
joe gi
Not Yet Wild

Just found some post about 12 volt batteries and Optima's. Also found numerous threads discribing low voltage issues. Guess I will buy some 8v Trojans.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

GO BACK TO BASICS
Have you done a hydrometer ( single float type NOT multy float antifreeze testers ) test on each cell in each battery yet ( after charging battery pack and adding any distilled water as needed ) and post for us? Level should test between temp corrected 1250 and 1275 on tester fully charged.
I would not jump into new battery pack just yet.
When you have checked ( distilled ) water levels in each cell, done the above test, Checked all battery cables for dirty loose connections, seems you have tried to charge batterys but seem to drop off pretty fast. Did your charger turn itself off or did you disconnect before charger dropped to ZERO? Do all above and the you will know if batterys are good or if only one shows up bad. If one is bad you may be able to replace with a used one for now?
Sounds like you may have a regen cart ( two Solenoids ) that charges when you slow down to save on brakes and put some charge back into batterys? Not the best to repair, right Scottyyb?
By the way very good diagnostic so far, as SCOTTYB says also.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
joe gi
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help. I don't think I need it but I am still curious about the obc reset. When is that procedure needed?

The charger shuts off itself after 6 or 7 hours. The batteries are quite nasty on top so removed them. I am cleaning up the frame and will decide what to do about the batts in a bit. 5 of them have 8 volts and one has 6 after I removed them and they had been charged a few hours prior to removal. If I can find one I might replace it.

Ill have to get a battery tester. I do know the batteries are over 5 years old. I saw the cart when it was purchased at auction 5 years ago.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

You might just as well buy a set, one bad one new one will just be pulled down to the quality of the rest.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Fishing Dude is right you will just have to bite the bullet and get a set.You dont want to make to many mistakes with that gen1car.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If your charger is running for long periods so I dont think you have a problem with OBC as its only function is to tell charger when and how to run. Do you have a cheap DIGITAL METER ( Harbor Freight $2-$5 ) as you will need one with a sparky cart.
If you have 5 year old batterys its time to replace them for sure because they are ALL on the way out. if you have 8 volts on 5 batterys and one has 6 volts you have at least one dead battery.
REMEMBER that you MUST USE GOLF CART BATTERYS, NOT AUTO BATTERYS as they are ONLY FOR STARTING NOT RUNNING CONTINUES and will not work.
If money is tight ( OBAMA DOLLARS ) you could find a used battery at a golf course ( around my area its easy to find used ) to replace for now, or bite the bullet and go with new TROJANS ( Best ) or what ever brand you choose? I always tell people to pick up their choice of battery (AFTER ) they have picked up a ( Trojan battery ) to compare weight. Battery weight is the amount of ( LEAD ) which translates to ( POWER and LIFE ) of a wet cell battery. REMEMBER that weak batterys can do damage to things like motors and controls if you try to continue using them.
From what you said there was poor to no care taken of your batterys so you need to clean the frame work under batterys with baking soda ( old fashoned way and I also use spray auto under coating to protect after cleaning ) or any of the new products available. After cleaning or installing new batterys you need to seal all battery connections with available sprays and another trick wash the tops of batterys off ( WARNING MAKE SURE BATTERY CAPS ARE ON TIGHT AND DO NOT FLOOD TOP ) often after charging so they wont discharge across the face of battery. A damp or acid covered surface allows batterys to discharge at a very fast rate.
Good luck and I hope we have been of some help?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
joe gi
Not Yet Wild

Yes you have and thanks. Looking forward to using this spring.

Joe
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car