lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: New Batteries--problem charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutsey View Post
scubabud, care to share where you found the batteries/cost? if not, i understand. may be in the market myself.....
I didn't purchase any batteries, just the Digital Meter that I've shown in the pictures attached. My batteries are just a bit over 1 year old now.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
iaudit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
If you plan on keeping your cart for any length of time I would highly recommend getting an inexpensive Digital Meter and use it as a very accurate fuel gauge for your cart. You have a fuel gauge in your car, truck or SUV so why not have one on your cart. It will let you know when you’re nearing 50% of pack voltage, 48.41v on a 48 volt system which is optimal as to where to recharge your batteries to get the most life from them. Online they’re less then $20.

http://cgi.ebay.com/UP8135-BLUE-LED-...item518d285957

Here is an example on ebay of the meter I use.
What is involved in hooking this meter up??
Thanks
iaudit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post
What is involved in hooking this meter up??
Thanks
4 wires

1=Power source from a battery + 6-12 volt. (can be from a wire in the dash that is also in that range such as from your light switch, inverter, etc.)

2=Power from that same battery - post. ( A ground lead will do.)

3=Input + from the Battery Pack, (36v or 48v pack.)

4=Input - from the Battery Pack, (your ground from the pack.)

My dip switches are set this way:
1,2 & 3 are OFF or down
4&5 are up because Dip 3 is for common ground, (2&4 are using the same ground on my cart, your choice.) and Dip 5 is only if you are using your meter for voltage below 2 volts, (we're using it for between 36 - 48v.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meter.jpg (101.5 KB, 10 views)
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

As you know clubcar has that little yellow light on the dash of 48volt cars and when you get to about 25% charge left in the batteries it will blink a lot.That means its time to head towards home and charge the car.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Pfretz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutsey View Post
scubabud, care to share where you found the batteries/cost? if not, i understand. may be in the market myself.....
I actually ordered the batteries on line from an local outfit called WheelzLLC and picked them up from my local Trojan distributor,,,,, for a lot less money than I could find them anywhere else. I paid $105 each out the door with a core exchange. Around here, the cart shops are quoting $127 to $138 plus tax for the Trojan T-875 so I think a got a fairly good price.
Pfretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #16
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfretz View Post
Ok,,, I couldn't stand it an put in a new set of Trojan T-875 batteries yesterday. I put them in and put the cart on the charger and it took about 12 hours for it to shut off. I took the cart out this morning and ran it around hard for about 20 minutes in the neighborhood and it performed amazing compared to how it was with the old Workahaulic Batteries. Upon returning I put it back on the charger and it ran for about a minute and the charger shut itself off. I unplugged the charger cord and plugged it in again and the same thing happened. I checked the batteries just to see and they each show 8.6v and the system was 52.0v.

Is this normal or does anyone think I have a problem?
You ran it for 20 minutes, plugged it in and the charger ran for "about a minute" and shut off? Thats not right. If you drive the car 10 feet and plug it back in its gonna run for 30 minutes. 20 minutes of run time is equal to over 9 holes of golf, it should run longer than 1 minute.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #17
Pfretz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXEROFCARTS View Post
You ran it for 20 minutes, plugged it in and the charger ran for "about a minute" and shut off? Thats not right. If you drive the car 10 feet and plug it back in its gonna run for 30 minutes. 20 minutes of run time is equal to over 9 holes of golf, it should run longer than 1 minute.
Well,,, that's what I thought but in checking the batteries this morning each one of them reads 8.5 volts and the overall system reads 51.7 volts. I tried the charger again this morning to see what would happen,,,, and it did the same thing. Any ideas to float around?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm a little slow sometimes ..... if I understand you correctly. You are saying that the battery pack is 51.7 volts and you want to know why your 48v charger is not charging? Is that correct?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #19
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Your batteries are charged, so your charger is working. I'd say, use it normally, then try to recharge and see what happens then.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
Pfretz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I'm a little slow sometimes ..... if I understand you correctly. You are saying that the battery pack is 51.7 volts and you want to know why your 48v charger is not charging? Is that correct?
No I'm the one that's a little slow,,,, I guess. I was curious as to why after running the cart for 20 minutes straight, and a lot of it uphill, that the charger only ran for a few of minutes before it shut off. I would have thought it should have run a lot longer to bring the batteries back up to full charge,,,, but apparently not.

Hey,,, if I knew all the answers, I wouldn't be here now would I!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car