lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 1998 Club Car

What models were available in a 1998 Club Car and what are the good/bad and distinguishing characteristics about the different models.

I am most likely going to purchase one today, but all I know is its a 1998 Club Car electric.
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1998 Club Car

Well you have been saved from the my dad had one and it was junk and the best since peanut butter posts.
What is it and we want pics of it before the cart fever hits.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION. The 1998 Club Car came with two battery packs 36 volts and 48 volts and I would go for the major advanced power and controlling features of the 48 volt cart. The 1998 Club Car 48 volt cart was made in two models. The series cart is in my opinion is the only model I would purchase. The Sepex model has a much more complex electronic system that is more expensive to repair and seems to have more problems. The difference is that the sepex has a feature that if you go down a hill it will automaticily slow you down by making the motor into a generator. It does save a little on brake wear and if you live where hills are steep it could be of some help but how often would it help would depend on your area.
The two models can be seperated by looking at how the cart is shifted from forward to reverse. The "series cart" has a handle mounted under drivers right leg that swings from side to side. The "sepex cart" has a toggle switch mounted on a plastic box in same location as series and a Run and tow switch mounted under seat.
If in doubt of which cart you are looking at check serial number under glove box on passenger side of cart and let us know what it is.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

I am only paying $250 with a charger and it works with soon to be bad batteries(according to the owner). I have an 04 CC IQ so I know the difference between the F&R switch. Does anyone recommend I pass it up at $250?

I would think the battery and aluminum salvage is worth that!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkana View Post
I am only paying $250 with a charger and it works with soon to be bad batteries(according to the owner). I have an 04 CC IQ so I know the difference between the F&R switch. Does anyone recommend I pass it up at $250?

I would think the battery and aluminum salvage is worth that!
Yeah... pass it up and give me the guy's address On a serious note... Buy it no matter what it is... the charger alone is worth about $250.00
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here is what I ended up with, 1998 48 volt series club car with charger and 2001 48 volt series club car DS with charger both for $900. The 01 has no problems and the 98 has what he called weak batteries but the cables are missing. They both have factory lights and the 01 drives around fine.

Now what to do with them?

I already have an 04 CC DS IQ with high speed motor(30MPH), no lift. I am thinking of lifting one and adding a torque motor. Would either of these be a good choice for that? I might get the other going for my mother in law, don't laugh, she watches my son for free.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wow you did OK on that deal.Whatever one you dont like give that one to the in-law.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wow what a great deal for you, I wish that you were near my area as I would take either of the series carts off your hands that you might want to get rid of??
If it was mine I would lift the 2001 and see if you want to spend the money on a torque motor rather than leaving it stock otherwise? I have personally seen some of the later ( 2000 up series ) 48 volt carts with replacement 36 volt motors ( that can be found very cheap ) out running carts with torque or high speed motors. Of course if you lift a stock cart and then add larger tires you will drag them back down to near stock speeds. Lets face it stock golf carts are made for golf courses and speed is not built into them nor allowed by government regulations. Good luck in your choices.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Why does a 36v motor make a 48v cart faster? Are you saying you can get speed by installing a stock 36v motor on a stock 48v cart?

What would someone recommend motor and/or controller wise for a lifted cart going the torque route?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am going by what I see in my local area with Club Car carts. I think that the heavier duty windings in 36 volt motor seems to help with torque and in that way speed as well when used with 48 volts. This is not to say you will get anywhere near your 04 cart's 30 MPH but will be a noticable difference over stock. To help this along most carter's will go with 4 guage welding multi strand wiring as well. This gives a small boost in power ( TORQUE ) as well.
I'm one of the many Obama poor that has to cut corners wherever possible so rather than a $400-$500 upgrade motor I feel that when my 48 volt motor goes bad I will pick up a used but good condition 36 volt to replace it.

Tags
club car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car