lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
physcoflip
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default tire clearance issue

Ok so I have been working on my 94 36 volt series golf cart. With all of your guys help it now charges goes forward and reverse. Hip hip horray for BGW. Now however with the six inch lift and 23 inch tires when I turn while moving the body catches the wheel. Anybody else have this issue? Could I possibly just need new shocks since they seem a little beat? Do I have to trim the body? I will post pics of before and after soon along with a pick of the old stripped down frame which you won't believe how bad of shape it was in.
physcoflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: tire clearance issue

This is a common problem when going with larger tires? Shocks have nothing to do with this problem as their only function is to dampen the up and down motion over bumps and rough road. Old springs that might have been left on depending on lift kit could let down can help cause this problem, especialy with the Club Car brand as its a single leaf that sags easily.
What kind of tread do you have on your new 23" tires, is it a knobby tread and are they extra wide as well? You didnt say what brand and type of lift ( spindle or long travel )that you added? This can also make some difference along with different offset wheels as the offset changes wheel movment into a WIDER ARC which can cause your problem? Did you by any chance add spacers with new wheels which moves the tread outward based on spacer thickness. If your problem is minor some cart owners do in fact trim a LITTLE off body where hitting.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
bioevolve
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I did that same with 2" wheel spacers. Added a new HD front leaf and trimmed body, then covered it up with fender flares.
bioevolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
physcoflip
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys. I have knobby tires and off set rims. I was thinking that new shocks might stiffen the cart enough so it wouldn't rub. I can sit in it and turn the whells without issue but when moving I have the issue. I check out front leaf springs.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
physcoflip
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have a spare leaf spring from when I changed frames. Does anybody think that if I put that one on also and use 2 u-bolts that it would work?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

PHYSCOFLIP Remember that shocks DO NOT creat any lift, so unless you go with HD or spring over shocks you really wont get much stiffer front ride. By adding a second ( NEW ) spring in front its possible that it will lift over used spring and stiffen the suspension enough to help? NOTE the front spring doesn't use "U" bolts, only on rear so I dont think stiffening the rear will help much with front problem unless you added rear seat etc?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
physcoflip
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks OldMec I just thought the U=bolts would add extra support since the bolts holding the front leaf probaly aren't designed to hold 2 leafs.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I use 1 1/4" longer bolts which are a little long but makes hook up alot easier ( nuts and locks UP and bolt through from bottom ) when adding another spring and use NEW star lock washers etc to maintain tightness, be sure and use hardened bolts not cheap low grade one's. Retighten several times after using to be sure. You will have to take the "center eccentric bolt" ( its long enough ) out and run through both springs so the front is adjustable ( NOTE OFFSET LOCATION MAKES EASY INSTALLATION ). I cut second "BOTTOM" spring back just behind end loops about 3/4"-1" enough that spring end wont hit loop on other spring and stop up and down motion.
Hope this helps?
Old 07-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
physcoflip
Getting Wild
Club Car

I put the cut leaf spring on top of the old one and under the lift block that came with my 6" spindle lift kit. Used the bolts that came with the lift kit but will get longer ones tomorrow as I don't think the lock part of the lock nut is catching but, I test drove it around the yard a couple times and didn't rub even on tight turns so I guess this thread is closed. Thanks again everybody!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Glad you were able to solve problem, now get out there and enjoy your cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car