lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
clayton6870
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Tire wear question

I have a 99 DS CC and have a question about my tire wear. Only the outside edge of the passenger side tires are worn. It also looks like the front passenger side tire is tilted out on the top. The front tires kind of look like this - \ |. Not so dramatic as that but you get the idea. Is this just an alignment issue or is there something more to it? If so what can I do for it before going to a pro? Thanks ahead of time.
clayton6870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
ssdane
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tire wear question

Think you might want to check tie-rod ends and toe. Just my opinion, hope this might help get you started!
ssdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If its cart on your avatar it looks lifted whether its a spindle lift or long travel you need to find out what lift kit was used and get info to correctly align the front end. The front wheels should be tilted out about 1/4" at top and toe in should be about 1/8-1/4" IN. I use a carpenters square and place against side of front tires and see how much they vary from top to bottom. Then I mark center of each tire tread and then see how much toe in measures from front and then from rear of tread.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
clayton6870
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks Old Mec, how do I tell the difference between lifts? When I figure out my lift, how do I adjust the tilt and toe? Also, when I let go of the steering wheel, the cart makes about a 45degree turn to the right. Would adjusting the tilt and toe fix that also?
Old 07-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Could you possibly send a picture of your front suspension as it would help answer what type of lift you have. AS I said before each type has their own ways of alignment so we need to find out what yours is. Then hopefully we can get info on your particular needs?
The pulling of steering wheel is always a good indicater of miss alignment and depending on tire style should solve all your problems. Looking forward to picture.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
clayton6870
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Ok here's some pics. Hope you can help.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1840.JPG (88.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1841.JPG (95.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1842.JPG (113.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the pic's and from what I can see you ( may have ) a home made "Z" type lift? This is based on the lift being made of 3 pieces of flat steel stock welded together rather than a much stronger one piece factory "Z" lift kit that at least ( used ) to be Club Cars only lift? Maybe some one working with newer Club Cars can confirm for me? The local dealer says they dont show a lift kit like that anymore ( Parts man really didnt seem to know what I was talking about as he was new to Club Car )?
If lift was ( done correctly ) you should be able to align front end in factory manner?
A golf cart aligns very much like an auto so the following should be easy if you have ever done any auto mechanics?
AS I said before to check "TOE IN" ( 1/4" ) either make a mark around center of tread of tires or use tread itself and measure across from side to side at front and rear to check. The toe in can be adjusted on either driver or passenger side tire as needed by pulling cotter pin and loosen tie rod end nut just enough to be flush with end of threads and then using either a tie rod pickle fork or a brass drift and hammer drive to loosen and free Tie rod tapered shaft, then remove nut and tie rod from spindle, then loosen the tie rod lock nut and turn tie rod in or out as needed.
To check tire tilt out ( 1/4"-1/2" ) with tires straight ahead use a carpenters square against pavement and upper side of tire. Clearance at bottom of tire should be 1/4"-1/2" and if not do following to adjust.
Loosen the 4 bolts that go through spring mounting plate and spring retainer lower plate, then loosen the spring eccentric center nut enough so you will be able to rotate eccentric bolt to get needed clearance on tires.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
clayton6870
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks MEC. I'll have to try and figure it out tomorrow. Wish me luck since I am a real newb at this.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have never liked the cutting of a cart frame to give it a lift ( even though at one time Club Car would only use that type ) as it must weaken the frame some, and especially with a aluminum frame like Club Car uses that doesn't flex like a steel frame could. Hoping for the alignment to correct your problem and as I said IF THE "Z" lift is straight you should. I would check bolts holding lift to frame as two different metals connected together can cause corrosion and work bolts loose? I have replaced bolts on several Club Car "Z" lifts with stainless steel bolts, nuts, lock washers and used a compound that I used to get from a airplane mechanic to stop corrosion.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
clayton6870
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks a million Mec. Everything went great. Once I got under the front I could see everything you were talking about and it was quite easy. I actually had a difference of about 1.5 inches of toe. Got that fixed, straightened out the steering wheel, and adjusted to proper tire pressure and it rides great now. Still a little bit of drift but nothing like before. You are a life and money saver. You kept me from taking it in to service. Thanks for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car