lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Still having a battery issue

I wouldn't do it ...... it could end up being a waste of money. Premature. You should try charging up the whole pack and evaluate the lot. Then see if the other 5 warrant getting one replacement or if you need all 6? Get a 12v charger and start charging these back up to a safe level in pairs. DO NOT drive it. I'm not talking a trickle charge but a real 15 - 25 amp 12v charge. Bring them up over 13.5 per pair and hope your 36v charger comes alive soon to finish the job. From what I have read ~ You need new batteries if they do not make a miraculous turn around fast. Look at the chart and you will see how far from fully charged you are. Research shows lead acid batteries deteriorate when left in a state of discharge. You will need better test equipment or maybe you can find a local shop to do it for you... I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Scotty, I know I'm far from fully charged - my charger is broken. And, again - this is a 4x12v (48v) setup. So, there are 4 batteries, not 6. I didn't get my multimeter until the charger was already broken and the batteries were already weak from riding the cart. As soon as I get the charger fixed (5 minutes after parts get here), I am planning to charge the pack as a whole and take readings. But I think it's clear that this 1 battery, at least, is bad. And, from what I've read here, that 1 bad battery could keep the rest from fully charging. So, I may still not really know where the other 3 stand until I fix this one, right? I do know, however, that the other 3 aren't discharging rapidly just from riding the cart like this one is doing. So, they are at least in better shape, for whatever that is worth.

I guess I could/should go ahead and charge each of the others separately and make sure they will come up to a real full charge - is that what you are suggesting? And if they do, I can swap out the bad one and be in okay shape. I've already put in a call to my seller about swapping batteries but he hasn't called back yet. He works nights so he is probably sleeping.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

03RedClub, if you can get one 12v battery from your vendor for no cost, by all means try that first.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Just got a call back from my seller. More than happy to swap me batts and apoligized for the trouble. Now I just have to find time to drive over there and get it done.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RedClub View Post
Just got a call back from my seller. More than happy to swap me batts and apoligized for the trouble. Now I just have to find time to drive over there and get it done.
Find the time before he changes his mind.
In the mean time, charge each battery you do have to the fully charged condition as per the schedule from ScottyB. You may find that when you get your 48v charger repaired it won't come on due to pack voltage being too low. I think the voltage for the pack needs to be in excess of 36v for the 48v charger to switch on. When you get the replacement battery, charge it up separately with the 12v charger. Once that is done plug in the 48v charger and allow it to switch off automatically.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Thanks but cart is still running fine and showing enough volts to trigger the relay on the charger. Should be okay but I will certainly deal with the batteries by themselves if needed.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Finally got a chance to go over and swap my bad battery out. My batteries all had code D8 on them (April '08 I assume?). The one he swapped me is A8 (Jan. 08?) but that was as close as he could get from what he had left. Did my first cart charge after the swap yesterday and finally got a full charge in just under 11 hours.

Thanks for the help. Glad to have this behind me.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car