lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
red97tj
Not Yet Wild

Default 81 ezgo gas wont run in reverse

I just rebuilt the entire motor, top and bottom end, and reinstalled today. It runs good in forward, but wont run in reverse, even backfired once. What should I be looking at?
red97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 81 ezgo gas wont run in reverse

Does the engine turn over when the lever is in the reverse postion?

If it doesn't then we are looking at a connection issue on the starter or direction switch.

If it is cranking over but not starting then that is most unusual as the 2PG does not care which direction it runs and in theory if it runs in forward it should run in reverse equally well. The only thing that I can think of would be a timing issue. On the inside of the flywheel are two magnets which trigger the pulsar. You should have set the ring which the pulsar sits on to the center of its travel. If it is hard to one side it may be that the engine is triggering off the reverse magnet when going forward and in reverse being triggered after top dead center which would cause a backfire, but I stress that this is just a wild guess
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
red97tj
Not Yet Wild

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. It does turn over, it just wont start, and even backfired once. I did have an issue with the timing, when I put everything back together, I had no spark, traced it back to the points. I took the cooling fan back off, and reset the points to .013, after that I got spark, and it fired right up, going forward, but wont run in reverse.

I have read a little about timing, but frankly am a little confused on how to set it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Hello Red, Now it is my turn to be confused. The 1981 EZGO should have an electronic ignition hence by post regarding the pulsar. If you have points then I am a little out of my comfort zone. However as it happens I do have the early PG engine manual which details the point operation so give me a while to have a read and I will get right back with you. Of course it might be that someone else picks up the batton and that will also be good BRB
Dave
Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
red97tj
Not Yet Wild

I have been confused about that also. I am going off of the serial #, to say that it is a 81.

I ordered a set of points for up to a 79, (mainly because they did not have any for my year) and I figured it would be close enough. After getting them, they were not the same as what was on my cart, so I did not use them, I just adjusted what I had.

I only have 1 wire from the engine, that runs to the negative side of the coil. I hope this info helps, let me know if there is any other info you need about it.

Oh yeah, as far as I can tell, there was never a automatic oiler. The only reason I give this info, is maybe to help reference the year of cart it is.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Red, Have a look at this. Do pages 58 and 59 look like you? I have to go out now but I will be back later
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZ-GO GX440 GX444.pdf (16.27 MB, 22 views)
Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
red97tj
Not Yet Wild

No, mine does not look like that. I know this will sound weird (or maybe uneducated), but mine does not have the 4 rectangle things at the top of the picture.

Those points in that picture are like the ones that I ordered wrong, it has a big base plate, mine does not have the large base plate.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Angry Re: 81 ezgo gas wont run in reverse

Well I really hate to bail out on you but I am lost. It's not electronic and it appears not to be the late 70's version according to the manual. (It is an EZGO isn't it ) I can only suggest that you try to set the timing again and see if it runs any better or worse after you tweak it.

Sorry
Dave
Old 10-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
red97tj
Not Yet Wild

I appreciate the help you have given. I think there was a 2 year period, from 8o to 82 that they did things a little different. When I was looking for shop manuals, the one listed for 80-82, was called a supplement, and you needed to get the manual for up to 79 also. So I have both, but between the 2, I still dont have what I need, to understand the points set up. I have the external starter generator, which I understand is good, but I still have a version of points, which kind of sucks. Oh yeah, it is definately an EZ-Go. It is the 3 wheel version. I have completely overhauled it, took it down to bare frame, sanded and painted the frame, replaced shocks, motor mounts, rebuilt battery tray, painted the body, replaced almost all fasteners, new drive clutch, new buttons on driven clutch, new belts. I let a little engine overhaul get out of hand. I am so close to having it done, I just need to tweek this last little issue.

Again, thanks for trying.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
red97tj
Not Yet Wild

I am going to pull the vent van back off tomorrow night and see if I can readjust the points, to open on the opposite stroke and see if that helps.

Quick question: I am almost positive that I got it right, because I had read about making sure to orient the piston correctly to the exhaust port. But....if it were backwards, would it run in forward and not in reverse? Or does it just not run at all?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO