lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
DOGCOPFL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Bad rear end E Z Go 3 wheel make grinding sound

I have three carts (1984,1988 EZ GO, 19?? Melex) and have been repairing them on my horse ranch for years. This problem a welder and battery or cable can't fix.
I hear a grinding sound coming from rear end of the 1988 electric EZ GO 3 wheel cart. It won't move. I towed it back jacked it up and rear wheels go with a grinding sound. Motor is perp to axle. I have looked at parts and assume maybe bearings bad or the high dollar shaft gear thing. I wanted a better pic on dism. of the rear end or is the yamaha pic. the same?

I have welded the rear bed on so I will have to drop the axle to fix this I guess.

What do you think???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000466.jpg (57.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IM000467.jpg (58.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IM000468.jpg (62.9 KB, 18 views)
DOGCOPFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bad rear end E Z Go 3 wheel make grinding sound

I'd pull the rear wheels and check to see if you spun a hub. The hub (brake drum) is splined to match the axle shaft and can strip out.

Not saying you don't have a rear end issue, but a hub would certainly be a lot easier to fix.

Good luck.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
DOGCOPFL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you. That is what I will do..Just pull the hub / drums off and look and see if they are stripped out???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000466.jpg (73.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IM000467.jpg (64.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

If they are indeed stripped, you can enlist a helper to run the throttle and check and see if you can stop the DS hub from turning by hand as a quick test. If your hubs are "in process" of stripping then that method might be a bit problematic. Do the hubs turn on throttle up when on jack stands? You should have been able to see the axle turning and the wheel not moving if hub is spun/stripped.

Make sure hill brake is disengaged, remove cotter pin and castle nut and remove the hub. The damage if any should be pretty apparent. Good time to check brakes while you're in there!

Note: When reinstalling hubs, torque to min. 90ft lb and then tighter to align for cotter pin. DO NOT BACK OFF TO ALIGN!!!

HIH!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
MIKEPEER
Gone Wild

i don't know where your at but i have al old 3 wheel cart with that rear if it's going to be very much to fix....
MIKEPEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #6
DOGCOPFL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The driver side hub is bad. The axle nut turns and the hub doesn't.. It is a pain to get off though.. I haven't checked around but so far the hub is $50.00.

I have a local store that carries all kind of parts. I' going to call them tomorrow and see what they will rape me for. I also need a new anderson plug for one of my chargers.

I live in sunny Florida.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGCOPFL View Post
The driver side hub is bad. The axle nut turns and the hub doesn't.. It is a pain to get off though.. I haven't checked around but so far the hub is $50.00.

I have a local store that carries all kind of parts. I' going to call them tomorrow and see what they will rape me for. I also need a new anderson plug for one of my chargers.

I live in sunny Florida.

Pay it forward and check with the site sponsors.

Good luck.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts