lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2016, 04:54 AM   #1
cmar143
Gone Wild

Default Anyone using a security system on golf cart?

Looking for a decent security system for my golf cart with a couple shock sensors but there are not very many options out there that come with good ratings. So I am curious if anyone has found a reliable option that has not gotten you stranded at some point. Thanks
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 AM   #2
Dennisneri
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Anyone using a security system on golf cart?

i lock mine in my pole barn
Dennisneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
kendeiss
Getting Wild
Club Car

I use a Club mounts from steering wheel too the brake pedel
kendeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:57 AM   #4
Tommy T
Gone Wild

Club Car

Look up J.R's Golf carts in Lakeland fl. Also has a store in Zephyrhills fl. They have a system that has shock sensors, if seat is lifted, if break is moved. Covers the whole cart. It is not that expensive for what it dose. I will try to get a website or a phone number today. We have a lot of stolen carts around this town. This looked like a really secure system.
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
cmar143
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy T View Post
Look up J.R's Golf carts in Lakeland fl. Also has a store in Zephyrhills fl. They have a system that has shock sensors, if seat is lifted, if break is moved. Covers the whole cart. It is not that expensive for what it dose. I will try to get a website or a phone number today. We have a lot of stolen carts around this town. This looked like a really secure system.
Yes that is what I am looking for however most of the ones out there that I have seen people using complain that they dont work well or break down and eventually lock the user out. I called JR's and they are a home made brand that they only install themselves...they wont ship them unfortunately. Thanks
Old 03-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
dcatlin7921
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar143 View Post
most of the ones out there that I have seen people using complain that they dont work well or break down and eventually lock the user out.
This is common on cheap car alarms too. I have done a lot of car rewiring to bypass old alarm systems that people have installed. I have been interested in making one myself. Really all you need is something like an arduino and a couple of micro switches. The problem being making sure everything is weather proof and well mounted.

To be honest a secret kill switch is often the best security. Just wire a simple toggle switch in line with the "ignition" key and hide it somewhere on cart. That way when you walk away just flip the switch and presto hard to hot wire.
dcatlin7921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
cmar143
Gone Wild

People think a special ignition switch or kill switch is the answer but honestly all it takes is 4 guys, a pickup truck and 30 seconds and your cart is gone for good. I have seen 3 guys lift a precedent into a pickup truck to get it repaired...its not as hard as you might think. And if somebody rolls up with a trailer they can easily take it themself. I wonder if a Viper or Directed car alarm can be wired to work with a golf cart...the problem is that there isnt too much wiring info online probably because they want you to get it professionally installed.

BTW...if your thief has any electrical knowledge or knows carts he can simply pry the plastic back off the dash with a screwdriver, pull both wires off the ignition switch and touch them together and off he goes. I could do that in 10 seconds to any DS model and a little longer to a precedent if I had a torx bit.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
dcatlin7921
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

A viper or other alarm system like that could be wired to work on a cart. They are simple to wire but they will have all of the sames problems as just described. Anyone with electrical knowledge could just jumper past an alarm box or just bring four friend and carry it away.
dcatlin7921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #9
Tommy T
Gone Wild

Club Car

I will ask Bob when I stop in there today. I really liked the fact that, if you lift the seat to try and steal batteries the alarm would sound. From what I am hearing around here batteries and wheels and tires are getting taken more than the cart.
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #10
eagleback
Not Yet Wild

I use wheel boot with locking lug nuts.
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car