lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
Rsanocki
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2011 Ezgo RXV solenoid double click of death

Hello,
Just purchased an inop 2011 EZGO RXV with the Danaher controller. The previous owner had removed a bunch of random parts to include the motor brake. I installed a new oem standard brake, along with putting the other bits back together. The harness appears to be in good/ un-molested condition.
I charged up the batteries and they are all reading around 12 volts (4 x 12v)

On power up, I get a double click of the solenoid from on to off and the brake won’t release. Tow switch in “tow” position with key in neutral does not release the brake. The horn sounds in reverse and I’ve used the troubleshooting guide to check the charge plug. I can get the brake to release by switching the 1234 plugs.

I went ahead and replaced the solenoid with an oem 36v just because. I’m still getting the double click from on to off.

My question, is this the solenoid double click that is typically found when you have a bad controller? The double click of controller death, haha!

I have searched so many threads and recall somebody saying that the controller Is failing it’s power up test. I don’t have access to the diagnostic tool used to check codes, do I need one to further troubleshoot? I planned on installing an aftermarket controller (Navitas?) anyway but I want to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71611F46-9AFF-4E00-86E0-76FE0ABFDC90.jpg (21.0 KB, 0 views)
Rsanocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 Ezgo RXV solenoid double click of death

Rsanocki I see you posted here on the forum for help. I answered your question you asked on eBay.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

There are many reasons a RXV will "double tap" best answer is to take to shop and get trouble code from handheld.
Throwing parts at cart is a bad idea. Sorry but diagnostic handheld is the best start for RXVs
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

double click is often Drive Fault error. can be caused by a few things. cart with bad charge receptacle, a bad controller, even a bad solenoid.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
Rsanocki
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Rsanocki I see you posted here on the forum for help. I answered your question you asked on eBay.
Thanks so much, I’ll be keeping an eye out for a good replacement for this Danaher controller. At the end of the day I want this thing to haul the mail!

But before I replace the controller I want to find out why it failed in the first place. Or at the very least find out if I have any additional failed components that will cause the new controller to trip a fault.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
Rsanocki
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
There are many reasons a RXV will "double tap" best answer is to take to shop and get trouble code from handheld.
Throwing parts at cart is a bad idea. Sorry but diagnostic handheld is the best start for RXVs
I was afraid of that, maybe I was a little optimistic in thinking that this RXV had a“smoking gun” symptom for a bad controller. Seeing all the post on the various RXV problems I should have known better.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
Rsanocki
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
double click is often Drive Fault error. can be caused by a few things. cart with bad charge receptacle, a bad controller, even a bad solenoid.
Sounds like I need to continue with the trouble shooting guide and eliminate all of the possible system faults. I very much appreciate all the help!
Old 07-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #8
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

when an RXV double clicks it is the result of Drive Fault. Drive Fault is a generic error that can be the symptom of multiple causes, such as those i've listed which are 90% of what i've seen in my experience.

If the controller is EOL (end of the line) it often involves multiple reasons:

1. One or more bad batteries, or bad cables
2. Overheating or overloading
3. Pushing or towing without first putting the car into TOW mode
4. Welded solenoid
5. forcing car to run with a bad e-brake on the motor
6. bad or failed brake resistor controller
7. or the controller was a piece of crap--sad to say, this is more likely on a Danahar, which is why EZGO went to Curtis in 2012
Old 07-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
Rsanocki
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
when an RXV double clicks it is the result of Drive Fault. Drive Fault is a generic error that can be the symptom of multiple causes, such as those i've listed which are 90% of what i've seen in my experience.

If the controller is EOL (end of the line) it often involves multiple reasons:

1. One or more bad batteries, or bad cables
2. Overheating or overloading
3. Pushing or towing without first putting the car into TOW mode
4. Welded solenoid
5. forcing car to run with a bad e-brake on the motor
6. bad or failed brake resistor controller
7. or the controller was a piece of crap--sad to say, this is more likely on a Danahar, which is why EZGO went to Curtis in 2012

#3 is a good possibility. Take a look at my rear bumper. Maybe this the the smoking gun I was looking for, seems obvious. But your notes bring it home for a newbie like me, haha! It looks like somebody pushed the ol’girl home with another cart. I found another used replacement bumper, should have it installed soonest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C201EF09-2E1E-41D7-9512-8D9A7F57B8FE.jpg (173.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Well technically you'd have to remove the motor brake for pushing it in run to do real damage or you'd just ruin one side of your rear tires. Unless, someone doing that knew how to bypass or remove the brake
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO