lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2019, 04:59 AM   #11
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2008 EzGo RXV does not run. Not performing start up sequence

that is right. had forgotten about that port. the plug is there and the reverse buzzer is working. however, we have never invested in a danaher scanner due to cost/actual times we have needed it. i can try to get my hands on one from a friend to see what we get
Carts4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If your name implies that you are buying & selling carts, I suggest one of 2 options for you.
1- buy the rxv diagnostic tools
2- do not buy any more RXVs

You will find yourself throwing away a lot of money buying parts that don't solve your problems, and a shelf full of parts.

Also, I suggest downloading the rxv troubleshooting guide for Danaher models if you haven't already done so. It leans heavily on the diagnostic tool, but has tons of information you can use without the diagnostic tool.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The bit about 'tried to wire in LED lights to the 5V circuit' portion is making me say the controller has bit the big one. A bad controller will also cause Drive Fault/Two clicks of death.

I bet if you put it in TOW mode and key in N (ON) it won't even let you push it too.

Here's a snippet of the error:

Warning: Drive Fault

Indicates the current error is the result of a condition internal to the controller. The message can appear in combination with one of the above error messages.

Diagnostic step:

Troubleshoot according to the error message being displayed (the 'drive fault' shows as a warning)

Action 1:

Replace controller

Link to diagnostic manual:
http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/RXV-Handset-Manual.pdf
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:05 AM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts4you View Post
update: so we found issues in the 5v circuit when doing voltage checks. found that the brake rotary switch is not giving any output voltage. same happening with accel switch which has been replaced. only need to do the bearing encoder test to see if that has failed as well. the final part of the 5v circuit is the SOC meter which we do not have one in the car. the owner tried installing an LED blinking light and hard wire to the SOC red and black cables in the plug. this appears to have shorted the 5v circuit and damaged the controller. will keep updating.
You can stop testing and just replace the controller. The SOC socket red and black wires are current limited 48 VDC from the controller to power the SOC guage. The grey is a 0/5 VDC logic line from the controller that communicates the SOC signal from the controller to the guage. Messing with these port wires nearly always fries the controllers 5V bus. Time to buy a new Danaher, or upgrade to a Curtis.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #15
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
You can stop testing and just replace the controller. The SOC socket red and black wires are current limited 48 VDC from the controller to power the SOC guage. The grey is a 0/5 VDC logic line from the controller that communicates the SOC signal from the controller to the guage. Messing with these port wires nearly always fries the controllers 5V bus. Time to buy a new Danaher, or upgrade to a Curtis.
Thanks Bob. Well we did that already twice with same problem occurring. As per the advanced troubleshooting from EzGo, since we were not getting proper output voltages on the 5v circuit components, we are replacing them and hoping the second controller has not been fried. We did not get output voltage readings coming from accel and brake pedal rotary switches, and bearing encoder stays at 5v as we turn the wheels (measuring black wire against blue/white and white wire at bearing encoder plug). Does not change voltage. Should we expect this fault to correct once we change switches and bearing encoder? We are to order the parts today. Is there anything else I should consider?
Carts4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #16
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts4you View Post
Thanks Bob. Well we did that already twice with same problem occurring. As per the advanced troubleshooting from EzGo, since we were not getting proper output voltages on the 5v circuit components, we are replacing them and hoping the second controller has not been fried. We did not get output voltage readings coming from accel and brake pedal rotary switches, and bearing encoder stays at 5v as we turn the wheels (measuring black wire against blue/white and white wire at bearing encoder plug). Does not change voltage. Should we expect this fault to correct once we change switches and bearing encoder? We are to order the parts today. Is there anything else I should consider?
Bearing encoder outputs are square wave pulses on both outputs, out of time with one another in order to detect direction of rotation. Looking for voltage changes is useless, it requires an oscilloscope. Lack of 5V encoder drive is a fairly common failure caused by messing with the wiring and improper probing of connectors/wires on RXV and is almost always fatal for the controller. It was designed to self-diagnose and report its findings to a handset.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have seen drive faults caused by "resistor control module" failure. There is a trio of codes I see with RCM failure. It can be any combo of these codes, and sometimes none of them. The 3 codes are "E dump fail", "drive fault", and "DC bus low".

I always thought "e dump fail" was the perfect name for a rxv fault code. That just means something took a "e-dump". (I do understand that's not the pure meaning of the code)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #18
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

How do you diagnose DC bus high? I get that one often and just replace the controller which fixes it every time.

I have tried replacing RCMs before but they almost always fry again in a few days. Me thinks something inside the controller (a short? leaky capacitor?) is what is frying them and the RCM is the symptom.

Rebuilt controllers are sent with a new RCM installed. cores require the original one sent as well.

Haven't gotten 'e-dump' yet.

So far it's a toss-up of these:

AC Short Circuit

Motor Temp High

Mechanical Brake Failed

DC Bus High Software Detected

DC Bus Low Software Detected

BDI Low

that's pretty much it. I've memorized most of the code numbers too. Hardly ever need the book these days. Sometimes when I read them out on the phone to a customer it sounds like I'm reading faults from Apollo 13:

"Main Bus B undervolt! O2 flow high! AC Bus 1, AC Bus 2...."
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO