lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
Lees23
Getting Wild

Default Brakes won’t “set”

2017 fairly new to me RXV. The brake doesn’t set and sometimes won’t stop the cart. On my other RXV ( 2008 ) once the cart is completely stopped I press the pedal further and I get two clicks and the cart is locked and won’t move until the gas is pressed. On this cart when it stops and I press the pedal to “lock” the cart in place but nothing happens and the cart can still roll. After it’s stationary for awhile it will eventually “click” and lock.

Today my wife was trying to slow down on a hill and the brakes slowed the cart down but didn’t stop it she then freaked out and pressed the pedal to the floor, a couple seconds later the brake locked and stopped the cart.

Bad brake, bad brake switch or something wrong with controller.

Our condo is at the top of a big hill with a lake at the bottom of it so reliable brakes are a must.

Thanks,
Steve
Lees23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brakes won’t “set”

The RXV does not have mechanical brakes like your other cart. It uses the motor to brake the cart. Removing your foot from the accel pedal is usually all that is needed to slow you down to a stop. Too stop quicker, light pressure to the brake pedal can be used as well. After coming to a complete stop, the motor brake on the side will engage as a parking brake automatically as you have discovered. You do not have to "lock" the brake pedal like other carts. I have not experienced any issues with my RXV rolling after coming to a stop. I routinely stop it backing down my toy hauler ramp and it does not move until I touch the accel pedal again. It is also not a good idea to ever jam the brake pedal all the way on these while underway as it will engage the motor brake which will have dire consequences on the brake itself. I've replaced a couple over the years when allowing buddies to use my cart that didn't understand the RXV.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneubig View Post
The RXV does not have mechanical brakes like your other cart. It uses the motor to brake the cart. Removing your foot from the accel pedal is usually all that is needed to slow you down to a stop. Too stop quicker, light pressure to the brake pedal can be used as well. After coming to a complete stop, the motor brake on the side will engage as a parking brake automatically as you have discovered. You do not have to "lock" the brake pedal like other carts. I have not experienced any issues with my RXV rolling after coming to a stop. I routinely stop it backing down my toy hauler ramp and it does not move until I touch the accel pedal again. It is also not a good idea to ever jam the brake pedal all the way on these while underway as it will engage the motor brake which will have dire consequences on the brake itself. I've replaced a couple over the years when allowing buddies to use my cart that didn't understand the RXV.
Pedal pressure was being applied and the cart was not stopping. The cart was rolling maybe 3-4 mph. The only way to stop the cart was to apply 100% pressure in which the rear tires finally did lock. After the cart comes to a stop it will still move, there seems to be a big delay on the parking brake setting, which I can’t have as the the cart is often parked on a hill.

I have 2 RXV’s, one has a brake that functions as it should, one that will not stop the cart on a hill.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees23 View Post
Pedal pressure was being applied and the cart was not stopping. The cart was rolling maybe 3-4 mph. The only way to stop the cart was to apply 100% pressure in which the rear tires finally did lock. After the cart comes to a stop it will still move, there seems to be a big delay on the parking brake setting, which I can’t have as the the cart is often parked on a hill.

I have 2 RXV’s, one has a brake that functions as it should, one that will not stop the cart on a hill.
Is the one in question lifted? Maybe the shop you bought if from adjusted the regen braking? Both could have an effect on braking. I’m grabbing at straws. I’m sure the RXV programming gurus will be along shortly.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
Is the one in question lifted? Maybe the shop you bought if from adjusted the regen braking? Both could have an effect on braking. I’m grabbing at straws. I’m sure the RXV programming gurus will be along shortly.
Not lifted. Regen was recently turned up. I assumed regen being turned up would increase braking ability.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #6
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That would be my assumption as well. Bob Boyce did his magic on my current controller. He was able to get much higher speed (close to 30mph) and also has a more aggressive regen braking map to slow me down from those speeds. If I release the accel pedal on mine, it will slow me to a complete stop fairly quickly. A little pressure on the brake if I need to shorten the distance is all that's needed. I've never tried to press the pedal all the way down when stopping as mine will engage the parking brake almost immediately after the cart comes to a complete stop. Hopefully Bob will be along shortly and have some better ideas.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
That would be my assumption as well. Bob Boyce did his magic on my current controller. He was able to get much higher speed (close to 30mph) and also has a more aggressive regen braking map to slow me down from those speeds. If I release the accel pedal on mine, it will slow me to a complete stop fairly quickly. A little pressure on the brake if I need to shorten the distance is all that's needed. I've never tried to press the pedal all the way down when stopping as mine will engage the parking brake almost immediately after the cart comes to a complete stop. Hopefully Bob will be along shortly and have some better ideas.
That is the difference between a mail-in performance tune vs one done in-person, where I can dial in the regen during the tweaking drive. Every cart behaves different, as lifted carts usually have larger tires. Larger tires require a much more aggressive regen setting as compared to smaller tires. My default performance tune is for stock tires.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees23 View Post
Not lifted. Regen was recently turned up. I assumed regen being turned up would increase braking ability.
It depends upon how regen is turned up. Done at a Dealer or OEM level, it cannot override the limits at Factory or Development levels.

When I am going to reprogram and tweak one in person, I turn regen up much higher in the high level settings, then adjust it back down at the Dealer level when tweaking it on the drive. I set the regen maps at that time.

Otherwise, the settings are not set as aggressive, to prevent faceplants into the windshield.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #9
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
It depends upon how regen is turned up. Done at a Dealer or OEM level, it cannot override the limits at Factory or Development levels.

When I am going to reprogram and tweak one in person, I turn regen up much higher in the high level settings, then adjust it back down at the Dealer level when tweaking it on the drive. I set the regen maps at that time.

Otherwise, the settings are not set as aggressive, to prevent faceplants into the windshield.
Any idea why the cart did not stop or why there is a delay in the parking brake setting when the cart does come to a stop? Bad brake?
Old 01-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #10
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
That is the difference between a mail-in performance tune vs one done in-person, where I can dial in the regen during the tweaking drive. Every cart behaves different, as lifted carts usually have larger tires. Larger tires require a much more aggressive regen setting as compared to smaller tires. My default performance tune is for stock tires.
My braking is fine. I actually prefer the heavier regen. I’m running 20.5” tires which you factored into the programming for me. I’m tickled pink with what you did.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO