lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brakes won’t “set”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees23 View Post
Any idea why the cart did not stop or why there is a delay in the parking brake setting when the cart does come to a stop? Bad brake?
The only time I've seen a delay in applying the parking brake upon stopping is if oversized tires or speed gears have caused the controller to go out of calibration with the final effective gear ratio. The factory default motor maps support tires up to 20.5" in height, and I never edit those maps unless I am forced to due to that reason when tweaking an RXV in person. The only time I've usually seen this happen is when tires of 22" or larger are installed, or speed gears have been installed in the rear end. That would cause exactly the issue that you are describing. Poor regen/pedal braking and a delay in applying the parking brake.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #12
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The only time I've seen a delay in applying the parking brake upon stopping is if oversized tires or speed gears have caused the controller to go out of calibration with the final effective gear ratio. The factory default motor maps support tires up to 20.5" in height, and I never edit those maps unless I am forced to due to that reason when tweaking an RXV in person. The only time I've usually seen this happen is when tires of 22" or larger are installed, or speed gears have been installed in the rear end. That would cause exactly the issue that you are describing. Poor regen/pedal braking and a delay in applying the parking brake.
I confirmed with the dealer that built the cart that there are not speed gears installed. The tires are 20.5”.

The delay in parking brake applies even on flat ground, not just when there is increased effort to slow or stop the cart. After this happened we had issues getting the cart moving again. It’s like the cart had no power. I cycled it on and off and eventually moved fine.

It’s very bizarre... my wife was cruising around the complex with the wife, she stopped talk to me and the cart stopped fine. She then gently pressed accelerator to go but After a short distance pressed the brake to stop again, the cart did not stop. This is when she pressed the brake all the way to the floor and the cart eventually stopped. So stopped fine once and then 10 seconds later did not stop appropriately. I took it for a drive afterwards and this is when I noticed that parking break does not set when you stop it. It doesn’t “click” like my other cart does.

So you think this is something in the controller that is off?
Lees23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I confirmed with the dealer that built the cart that there are not speed gears installed. The tires are 20.5”.

The delay in parking brake applies even on flat ground, not just when there is increased effort to slow or stop the cart. After this happened we had issues getting the cart moving again. It’s like the cart had no power. I cycled it on and off and eventually moved fine.

It’s very bizarre... my wife was cruising around the complex with the wife, she stopped talk to me and the cart stopped fine. She then gently pressed accelerator to go but After a short distance pressed the brake to stop again, the cart did not stop. This is when she pressed the brake all the way to the floor and the cart eventually stopped. So stopped fine once and then 10 seconds later did not stop appropriately. I took it for a drive afterwards and this is when I noticed that parking break does not set when you stop it. It doesn’t “click” like my other cart does.

So you think this is something in the controller that is off?
Yes, it could have an issue. Was it the controller that came with the cart? I usually run diagnostics prior to reprogramming and alert the owner to anything unusual that indicates when it shows.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #14
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
Yes, it could have an issue. Was it the controller that came with the cart? I usually run diagnostics prior to reprogramming and alert the owner to anything unusual that indicates when it shows.
Correct, it is the original controller. You programmed it for me right after you got back from Florida.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Correct, it is the original controller. You programmed it for me right after you got back from Florida.
Yes, I remember that. I was beat from the trip and I was getting used to using my new Linux OS laptops. I'll have to look at the file I saved of your controller prior to reprogramming it to see if there was anything there that might hint of an issue like this.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #16
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Are you letting the go pedal come all the way back up? It might think that you are still trying to go.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #17
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Are you letting the go pedal come all the way back up? It might think that you are still trying to go.
My wife was on the cart when it refused to stop, but I am pretty sure I saw bother her feet on the brake as the cart continued to move (slowly) and the eventually lock up.

I was wondering if there is a bad accelerator position switch that might be an issue as well. The cart certainly does take a while to “lock” after it stops. I have noticed even on very small grades that I will get off and it will move a little before it stops. Maybe 5 seconds or so.

I am not sure if it’s appropriate function or not but in my other RXV (danaher), once the cart is stopped and before I get out I press the brake probably 50%-70% and I hear the brake click and the cart is secure.

Obviously if I turn the key off, I get the same click, but I don’t always turn the key off if I am just jumping off the cart for a couple of min.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #18
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
Yes, I remember that. I was beat from the trip and I was getting used to using my new Linux OS laptops. I'll have to look at the file I saved of your controller prior to reprogramming it to see if there was anything there that might hint of an issue like this.
Bob,
Thank for looking into this for me. I am happy to send the controller back to you if you find something that needs to be fixed. It is something a shop can fix, I can do that as well.

I actually have an extra brake from my other cart. I changed it just a precaution when I got my other cart. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. It’s off of a 2011 RXV.

Steve
Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 AM   #19
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
Bob,
Just following up to see if you had a chance to check your files for my controller.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Bob,
Just following up to see if you had a chance to check your files for my controller.

Thanks,
Steve
Not yet. That laptop is out in the trunk of the car and the weather here has been very unpleasant over the past few days. I do not like carrying it in or out in the rain.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO