lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2020, 05:54 PM   #11
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Rear Driver Wheel Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford04 View Post
How tight are we talking? I can go over 200 ft/lbs so I don’t want to break it haha.

Torque spec on the hub bolts?

The noise went away for about a mile and then started up, sounded much different than before. Last time it was a clicking, now it almost sounds grinding like. Should I do a full inspection instead of going back and forth? If it’s better to just replace something now, might as well...know what I mean?

If it were my cart, I would. do it right and be done with it. Granted, I work on these things every day.

Lug nuts, just make them tight. Castle nut on the axle, I go as far as my impact will take it.. 20volt Inger sol rand, the most powerful one they make. So go from that.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Mistake duplicate
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #13
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford04 View Post
Well I'm back after a short lived resolution. Hoping that castle nut didn't cause further issues now. Same wheel/hub, it now sounds like a creaking sound and is almost constant around the entire revolution. I've got a video I made, hope this help diagnose it.

https://vimeo.com/413350525

What are your thoughts on this?

I just want to get this thing to 100% to go watch the sunset!
The sound you posted in your video is the same sound that all of my westerns (Ezgo TXT Carts) make when they have had a bad axle bearing or brake hub. A couple times I have replaced just the axle bearing and it was fine other times I have had to replace both. Actually did both just last week. If the RXV axle bearing replacement is the same or similar to a TXT it is a very easy DIY job can be done in 30 mins or less.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:33 PM   #14
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If me I would replace both side axle bearings and be done with it. Not expensive repair if you can do yourself. Good preventative maint. On a cart that age.

At same time check brake shoes,adjusters, make sure brake cables work freely,ect.
( hint be sure to follow brake shoe and cable adjustments per manual)

Tighten axle nut to spec ( use torge wrench)and install cotter pin to keep from loosening.
Don’t forget to use neversieze on wheel studs before tightening lug nuts.
Since your at it may want to drain and replace rear end gear lube.
Doubt previous owner did this and due to age and unknown care of cart should be done anyhow.
You can download manual for your cart from stickies here
My opinion only 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #15
Clifford04
Not Yet Wild

I can’t figure this out for the life of me. I tightened the driver side, great. Went for a ride and heard a creak from the passenger side...today I tightened that side (castle but was also loose) tightened to 110/120 ft lbs. tested shortly after and it’s got a groan like the driver side did now. I’m at a loss... should I just replace the bearings and be done? I really have no idea what it’s doing. I have videos of it jacked up with and without the wheel on slightly accelerating. Would it help to post?

Edit-hadn’t seen these replies. Appreciate the feedback. I’ll pick up a couple bearings tomorrow. What line and how much for the rear end? I feel it may be upgraded but have no idea how to tell-pardon my noobness. I do like wrenching, but I also like driving so this is getting frustrating 😁
Clifford04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:58 AM   #16
HarryT
Gone Wild

One of our members called me yesterday and asked if I would check out his cart. He said the drivers side rear was making a bad noise and was told it was a wheel bearing. I had him bring it to me and it was noisy. I popped off the hubcap to hear the noise better and discovered his problem. He had put on a new wheel on tire and had put the lug nuts on backwards, flat side in and cone out. I reversed them and got rid of the noise. It is probably not your problem but anything is possible.
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #17
Clifford04
Not Yet Wild

Well...replaced the passenger side wheel bearing and it’s still clicking. Seemed to only do it at low speeds now, though.

Any indication of what that may allude to? I’m not longer getting any sound from the driver side...this is driving me crazy!

I got another video if that’s help?

On another note, I did notice both hubs can rotate ever so slightly back and forth when in the air. I’d say 1/16 or 1/8” max, is this normal?
Old 05-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #18
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Did you put anti seize on the axle splines?
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #19
Clifford04
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Did you put anti seize on the axle splines?
No, I can pop the wheel/hub off and do that though. Think that’s the issue?

What about the hub? I don’t know how a hub could cause clicking, but just trying to research symptoms and one of a bad hub was clicking.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #20
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

As long as hub is tight it should not make any noise.
If you did for whatever reason suspect the hub.
Swap it with the left hub and see if noise moves to other side.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO