lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
DRAG
Not Yet Wild

Default Options for my 2001 EZGO...new here

Hi everyone. I'm new to carts and I don't have a very specific question...mostly lots of questions that would cover many topics and different sections of the forum. I figured one thread is as good as 20.

I just purchased a 2001 EZGO 36v cart to use at the drag strip to pull my race car to the line and back to the pits after a run. It isn't perfect, but runs great and has a new yellow paint job so it was cared for before I got it. Guess I will start with the questions.

1: I paid $1550 for this car with a charger, and it has new paint, but not the greatest paint work. It is mechanically sound after I rewired the FNR switch. Is that a fair deal?

2: The cart has decent speed...about 17 on flat ground, 22 down a slight decline, 13 up the same incline. However, I feel like it really runs low on juice after about 2 miles of driving. It still has the speed on flat ground, but definitely down on torque. I'm afraid it won't pull my car well. What is a typical acceptable range on a healthy 36v system? I would hate to spend $600 on new batteries only to find out that its just the nature of the beast.

3: I'm weighing the costs of upgrading to higher voltage...like 72v -OR- investing in a gas conversion. Again I'm worried more about towing than high speed...so possibly would debate putting a larger ATV motor in the cart.
-What would I spend to properly upgrade to 72v...and how is the battery life?
-Is it easy to find the rear axle and how much should I pay for the axle if I do decide to convert to gas?

I have guys at my shop that are going to paint the cart next week and get it looking good. We can handle any needed fabrication. Just need some direction from owners. I like the idea of staying electric for the quiet use and ease of my guys jumping on and off the cart while we are concentrating on racing... but it looks to be fairly expensive with new batteries, new control unit, new motor, etc. With that $$$$ I could probably put a nice fuel injected quad motor in there and have some real power.

Appreciate any responses and advice...
DRAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
eadavis
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Options for my 2001 EZGO...new here

If you are thinking about going gas conversion you better take the cart back and get your money back while you can and find a gas one to upgrade don't want to try to make an electric to gas conversion
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Options for my 2001 EZGO...new here

If you want gas I suggest you take this one back and get a gas cart.
Electrics are good for torque. The electric is pure torque. You either move when you hit the pedal or you break it.

I suggest you have the batteries tested and see what kind of numbers you get with them loaded. The batteries are the main thing to worry about. If they are old and haven't been maintand corrctely then they are going to have to replaced for what you want to do.
72 volts is a good opition
Batteries
controller
contactor
charger
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My 16 year old 36v will pull triple the dead weight of the terminal's (where I work) brand new gas powered ST. For towing or pushing, go electric.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
DRAG
Not Yet Wild

Here she is...

I definitely have a battery or charger issue. I take it for a spin and after a mile or so it just loses torque. It still moves the cart at speed on flat ground but any load and its degrading quick. So I was coming in and putting it on the charger....come back out the next day to try again.

I was working all night in the garage Sat night and I plugged it in. I noticed that the charger shut off 30-40 min into the charge. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I did this 3 more times so I guess I got a total of 2-3 hours of charge. I rode it around and it was a huge difference. I had at least double the life. Shouldn't it take a good 6-8 hour charge for these batteries??? I'm about to just replace the charger and batteries and call it a day. I really want to stay electric for what I am using this thing for.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
DRAG
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the large pics. I resized them on photobucket but obviously not enough DOH!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

How old are the batteries?
What make & Size are the batteries?
You may need to replace the contacts in the charge receptacle. Try this; plug the charger in & wait for t to stop. When it stops, take hold of the plug and lift or push gently to see if you can re-establish the contact and get the charger to come back on. IF yes, replace the contacts in the receptacle.

P.S.
Get a good DVM so we can start talking voltage readings when assessing the battery pack
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
DRAG
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the pointers. I will try that tonight. When should I take my voltage readings? After charge, then again when I feel it start to degrade?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Tony M
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey, I recognise those batteries, they are Interstate U 1800's, just bought a set myself, you really can't make any decisions until you know some voltage numbers. Try charging them til the charger shuts off, wait 12 hours or so then take a voltage reading on the whole pack.
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

If you are charging, and it shuts off after 20-30 mins, and you plug it back in and it goes another 20-30 mins, then it sounds like a charger issue. Especially if you said you had double the life out of your batteries when you did that several times. Batteries are probably good, just never getting a solid good long charge. Try to talk to a friend or maybe even a dealer and see if you can borrow a charger for a night and see if it does the same thing. If it does, then start checking elsewhere. If it doesn't, and charges the batteries all night until they are full, then it was the charger.
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO