lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
bmwparts
Not Yet Wild

Default help with slow running issues on 2006 txt pds model

New here and this is my first time owning a golf cart, so heres whats going on.

when i first bought it the cart would be fast at times and then you would stop and it would be in a restricted performance mode, it has a freedom chip and 22" tires and a 6" lift.

so i checked all the wiring and replaced the battery cables, charged the batteries and had the same issue, so i just bought 6 new batteries they were 5 years old and needed to be replaced and i was also getting the diag code 2-1 for low voltage, after the new batteries same issue but not as bad, when the issue happens it happens while going from forward to reverse or after going full speed and then coming to a stop and then trying to take off again it goes into this mode??? and after the new batteries i ran the diag code again and the 2-1 beeps are still there?? so i checked the voltage on the new batteries and my charger has them between 6-6.4 but only shows their output percentage around 60-70%??

the odd thing to me is when this restricted mode starts, i can stop hit the F/R switch to reveres back up about 2 feet and then go to forward and it runs great until i stop again??
bmwparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: help with slow running issues on 2006 txt pds model

What is your pack voltage after let the batteries get a full charge then they sit a little bit?
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

WELCOME TO BGW!!!
I think your problem is thermal shut down from the freedom chip and the 22 inch tires. You could try removing the chip and see if it still happens in all-terrain mode. If I am right it won't happen or it won't happen as much but your speed will be reduced in this mode... you need a bigger controller for more power and speed.

P.S.
New batteries are only at 70% until they cycle many times and build strength. When properly broken in. Otherwise they can be damaged and never reach their full potential.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
bmwparts
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
WELCOME TO BGW!!!
I think your problem is thermal shut down from the freedom chip and the 22 inch tires. You could try removing the chip and see if it still happens in all-terrain mode. If I am right it won't happen or it won't happen as much but your speed will be reduced in this mode... you need a bigger controller for more power and speed.

P.S.
New batteries are only at 70% until they cycle many times and build strength. When properly broken in. Otherwise they can be damaged and never reach their full potential.
thanks for the info and I did what you said and removed the freedom chip, it is better but still acts up after cruising down the road or trail and when you come to a stop and then try to take off again it happens, then i hit reverse back up about 1ft and then it takes off ok, until i stop again??

another question, what is the proper way to brake in the batteries? i charges them last night until my charger shut off and you could hear the batteries sizzling, i guess this is normal if not let me know, thanks for the help
Old 04-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can find battery break in procedure and a whole lot more battery info on my website by clicking on the Carts Unlimited link in my signature below. Can you put the cart into diagnostic mode and see what trouble code the cart gives?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

How to put a PDS cart into Diagnostic Mode =
PDS Diagnostic mode can be entered with the cart stopped key 'off' though 5 consecutive neutral > reverse selections. Then pause = about 2 seconds after the 5th selection the reverse buzzer will emit a series of beeps... like 3 & 2. Or drive your cart and see what code you get?
Report what your cart reports here.
To exit diagnostic mode turn the maintenance switch from run to tow and back again
Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
bmwparts
Not Yet Wild

the beeps went like this, after moving the switch 5 times it beeped 1 time and then would beep 2 then 1 over and over, on the cover it says this is low voltage performance reduced, charge or replace batteries?

i did read you brake in procedure on batteries and i did ride the cart today for about 1 hour, so im charging it again over night, ill make sure to keep the battery power level above 70% and recharge at that time, thanks again
Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Keep us posted on this....
Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
bmwparts
Not Yet Wild

same thing this morning, any other ideas on what could be causing this? another thing that happened this morning was when i first got on it and turned the key on and hit the reverse button to back it up, no beeping at all and the cart wouldnt move, like it was cut off?? and then i hit the forward button and hit the gas and it jumped, then i hit the reverse button again and it backed up with no beeping???

Ive checked and cleaned all wiring to the motor, controller, etc, I'm lost??
Old 04-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwparts View Post
same thing this morning, any other ideas on what could be causing this? another thing that happened this morning was when i first got on it and turned the key on and hit the reverse button to back it up, no beeping at all and the cart wouldnt move, like it was cut off?? and then i hit the forward button and hit the gas and it jumped, then i hit the reverse button again and it backed up with no beeping???

Ive checked and cleaned all wiring to the motor, controller, etc, I'm lost??
Just looked at the schematic and the best I can come up with is: possibly intermittant reed (if you have one), or possibly loose J1 on the controller....

The buzzer requires a hard 36V on one side and a switched return (battery neg) on the other end to turn it on. For some reason you controller didn't apply the ground to the buzzer, or the hard 36 volts to the buzzer is low. In fact this is the same 36 volts under the cowl that is used for the F/W switch. Maybe someplace to probe to gather some more information......

Beyond that I would need to do some measurements (if it was my cart) and my approach is to observe (as you are doing) and then to measure various points to find out why it's complaining of low voltage....

These measurements would have to be made on the "fly" while your driving/switching F/R, etc.

Don't know your skill level but if your capable then this approach is probably the best way to go. It's a PITA but eventually through measurement/observation you'll narrow it down.
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO