lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: help with slow running issues on 2006 txt pds model

It is hard to say for sure, but I am agreeing with Scotty on this one, I believe your controller is dying. It is not uncommon for a controller to go out on a PDS cart if it has been running larger tires. Were you ever able to get a voltage of the batteries after they were charged?
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You are going to have to replace the stock controller - Most all PDS carts that are lifted will eventually do this. PDS controllers, solenoids and wire kits are our #1 seller from our online catalog. It's unfortunate for you that it's an extra expense after your purchase, though...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
bmwparts
Not Yet Wild

when i bought the cart it was stock and still had this issue, it only had the freedon chip, i lifted it and put the tires on it within the last 2 weeks, i got a awesome deal on it and couldnt pass it up even with the issues 1000.00 for a 06 with a workhorse front end and flip down rear.

but ive been thinking the same thing about the controller, how much is a controller?
bmwparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Personally, I would still do some measurements....It doesn't cost anything to do so.

There's a few other things that could drag the batt voltage down, and you still don't know if that's even happening as you haven't verified the controllers complaint through measurement.

I'll assume that all connections to/from the controller and Solenoid have been checked for tightness? You say you checked the wiring. Did you miss anything?

More possibilities- intermittent/bad motor, worn/resistive (intermittent) solenoid contacts.

But having said all that eventually you'll likely need to replace the controller anyway as an upgrade.

Just would be wary of doing that if say the motor's bad....It could damage a new controller.
Solenoid won't do any harm if it's resistive other than maybe get really hot.

edit- one intriguing thing is that the buzzer doesn't even require the ign switch to be on.....BMW- do the following- (if you have a meter, place the negative lead on the battery pack Neg terminal)

Remove the controller cover and locate J1 (use the attchmnt for reference)
With the Cart OFF, DIR SEL AT Nuet...............verify 36 v on J1-1 (meter Positive Lead)
Place the DIR SEL to FWD.............................verify 36v on J1-3
Place the DIR SEL to REV (buzzer ON)............verify 36 v on J1-2

The buzzer should be on when in reverse regardless of anything else. If the buzzer is NOT on but there is 36 volts on J1-2 then verify there's 0V (or nearly so) at J1-10.

Post the results.......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDS_WIRING.pdf (60.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by todo_brane_ded; 04-25-2011 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: just more thoughts
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
bmwparts
Not Yet Wild

ill do it tonight after work, thanks alot, ill post info around 9-10pm
bmwparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #16
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwparts View Post
when i bought the cart it was stock and still had this issue, it only had the freedon chip, i lifted it and put the tires on it within the last 2 weeks, i got a awesome deal on it and couldnt pass it up even with the issues 1000.00 for a 06 with a workhorse front end and flip down rear.

but ive been thinking the same thing about the controller, how much is a controller?
List for a Alltrax in a 400 amp about 668.00
for a 500 amp its 874.00

I would go with the DCX500PDS controller since you are running tall tires. You need more torque to pull with those larger tires and hauling 4 or more people is a chore for a controller.

Get the programer cable and you can switch it up just like swaping chips.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Another couple tests....

Drive the cart in FWD as before and try to duplicate the problem.
This time you want the meter attached to B+ on the controller (be carefull and make sure it is a reliable connection as well as the meter negative lead!).
This is the output of the Solenoid to the input of the controller. We are verifying that the Solenoid is passing the full Batt volts to the input of the controller.

Make note of the reading when "good" as well as when "bad"......For that matter, make note of when "good" and "good"....in other words, if you drive the cart and let off the pedal and try to go again and it DOES GO, make note of that also.
Anything >34 volts (dependent on your charge) is probably Ok....

Finally, in case I'm in bed by the time you post, here's the next step....
Place your meter on Controller Terminal A1 and observe (when working) at full throttle. It should be (theoretically) 0 volts, probably anything <5 to 7 volts would be ok.

Next do same when the fault occurs.

No such thing as too much information when diagnosing a problem....

let us know the results....

Last edited by todo_brane_ded; 04-25-2011 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: ps.....
Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can play with it until the cows come home...... bottom line is you are still going to need a bigger controller and a few up-sized cables to handle the increased loads of the taller tire. But no. do not put a 500a controller on a stock motor unless you de-tune it a 100a in anticipation of getting a big aftermarket motor later that can use a 500a controller.... and shop around prices posted in this thread seem high.
For example one site had this:
Ezgo PDS Carts
Pkg. #808
400amp Alltrax (DCX400PDS) 36-48v programmable
200/800 amp Heavy Duty Solenoid kit
Perfect 36 or 48v upgrade for street carts ........... $579
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #19
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You can play with it until the cows come home...... bottom line is you are still going to need a bigger controller and a few up-sized cables to handle the increased loads of the taller tire. But no. do not put a 500a controller on a stock motor unless you de-tune it a 100a in anticipation of getting a big aftermarket motor later that can use a 500a controller.... and shop around prices posted in this thread seem high.
For example one site had this:
Ezgo PDS Carts
Pkg. #808
400amp Alltrax (DCX400PDS) 36-48v programmable
200/800 amp Heavy Duty Solenoid kit
Perfect 36 or 48v upgrade for street carts ........... $579
BMW, he does know what he's talking about..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cows.jpg (34.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #20
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I always go larger and then detune. Its safer and more reliable. Its easy to smoke parts. When they get maxed out.
I was quoting suggested retail so he would not get sticker shock.
I would always check the site sponsors and then Google.

We all upgrade by why buy twice if you can detune and have more later?
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO