lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #21
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Removing Cart from charging too quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC View Post
But this doesn't finish answering the question. Most of us agree that park and plug is the way to go. But the question is - do we park and plug even if we know the charge cycle is not going to be completed before we unplug? If these batteries have no issues with developing a "memory", it stands to reason that quick charges shouldn't be an issue. But then why are so many of us under the impression that the charge cycle should be allowed to complete, once started, or else it's bad for the batteries?
I am going with P and P, even if the cycle doesn't finish. I respect Sotty B's opinion on this, not to mention we have 2 testimonials of long battery life in this thread, using this method.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Wasn't trying to be disrespectful of Scotty at all. I just like to be sure when I have in my head one thing and then hear something different. My curiousity got the better of me so I contacted Trojan. Below is the response from a product engineer.

It is preferred to let the charger finish its cycle before using the battery again. This ensures a fully charged battery. However, the other scenario presented is call "opportunity charging" and does not damage the battery. For applications where it is not feasible / possible to fully charge the battery after each use, opportunity charging is used to reduced the overall depth of discharge of the battery. This is preferreed over fully discharing the battery before it is charged. Even in situations where opportunity charging is used, it is very important that the batteries be fully charged (complete a charge cycle) routinely. Have a good day.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #23
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Given the information from Trojan, will you change the way you drive or charge your cart? Just curious...

Quote:
Wasn't trying to be disrespectful of Scotty at all. I just like to be sure when I have in my head one thing and then hear something different. My curiousity got the better of me so I contacted Trojan. Below is the response from a product engineer.

It is preferred to let the charger finish its cycle before using the battery again. This ensures a fully charged battery. However, the other scenario presented is call "opportunity charging" and does not damage the battery. For applications where it is not feasible / possible to fully charge the battery after each use, opportunity charging is used to reduced the overall depth of discharge of the battery. This is preferreed over fully discharing the battery before it is charged. Even in situations where opportunity charging is used, it is very important that the batteries be fully charged (complete a charge cycle) routinely. Have a good day.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #24
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Given the information in this thread and from Trojan, yes I will allow my son to plug the cart in for an "opportunity charge" when warranted, given that it sounds like this is preferred over running the cart too long and putting a deeper discharge on the batteries. It will not change our habit of plugging the cart in every night and not unplugging it the next morning until the charge cycle is complete.

With the new batteries, the longest I've seen it take to charge is 10.5 hours. That only happened once and it was the day that my son did do an opportunity charge and then take it out again that night. With the old batteries, a 12 hour charge cycle was the norm. I don't know what my shortest or average cycle is because, other than the one time at 10.5 hours, it has always been done by the time I checked it the next morning. And since curfew is midnight, it's always a little after that when it gets plugged in.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Good deal! Those are my thoughts as well. I am sure this will make your son a "happy camper" (pun intended)
Quote:
Given the information in this thread and from Trojan, yes I will allow my son to plug the cart in for an "opportunity charge" when warranted, given that it sounds like this is preferred over running the cart too long and putting a deeper discharge on the batteries. It will not change our habit of plugging the cart in every night and not unplugging it the next morning until the charge cycle is complete.

With the new batteries, the longest I've seen it take to charge is 10.5 hours. That only happened once and it was the day that my son did do an opportunity charge and then take it out again that night. With the old batteries, a 12 hour charge cycle was the norm. I don't know what my shortest or average cycle is because, other than the one time at 10.5 hours, it has always been done by the time I checked it the next morning. And since curfew is midnight, it's always a little after that when it gets plugged in.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #26
Bert18
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks everyone, this is why I love this site.
Before I start another thread. Someone started a thread recently on mounting a charger to a cart. Anyone know where it is? I thought about gutting my charger and mounting it in my cart.
Bert18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #27
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Bert, you know they make on-board chargers already right? Have one on-board where you can opportunity charge and you can have your other charger to use when you're done for the day for a complete cycle.

Or just get a gas cart and fill it up every 3 weeks and not sweat an extension cord like I did.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert18 View Post
Thanks everyone, this is why I love this site.
Before I start another thread. Someone started a thread recently on mounting a charger to a cart. Anyone know where it is? I thought about gutting my charger and mounting it in my cart.
i don't know where post is but you can mount your charger on your cart if you have the room ... just remember its there if you drive through deep water
Old 06-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #29
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Unless you are going to plug in somewhere other than your usual location, what's the point of keeping a charger on your cart? You still have to grab a cord and plug it into something.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
Bert18
Getting Wild

Club Car

We want to start using the cart more. If we drive to a friends house it would be nice to have the ability to charge it. Gas is fine, but we enjoy the quiet and no fumes. We were able to see 9 deer in Fort Wilderness because the cart was quiet. 😷
Bert18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car