lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Charging question

Now that my cart is close to getting on the road I was wondering what good practice concerning charging of the batteries is. On most days I'll be running back and forth to work which is a 2 mile round trip. I plan to do this through the winter months as well, roads permitting.

Should I charge the cart each day or should I wait until I reach a certain level of charge, say 30%? Are there any recommendations about charging in summer months versus winter months?

Also, is it ever "too cold" outside to use an electric cart? It's been known to hit negative digits early in the morning here, right at the time I'll be heading to work.
RitchCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging question

charge it everyday you use it and don't let the batteries get below 70% state of charge if you can help it
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Like the cableguy alluded to, keep the batteries as fully charged as possible and practical.
If used that day, charge that night.
If not used, initiate a charge cycle about every week.

As for cold weather, it will bother you more than it does the cart.

The batteries will loose about 10% of their capacity for every 20°F drop in temperature below 80°F, so range and performance will be less in colder weather, but considering the short distance of your travel, that shouldn't be a major issue.

The electrolyte in a fully charged battery won't freeze until about -90°F, so that shouldn't be an issue either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp vs Storage Capacity.JPG (81.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Excellent, thanks for the info guys. LOL on the cold bothering me more than the cart. I'm used to the cold, up to this point I've been riding a bike that I hooked a weed whacker motor to, to get back and forth to work. The problem with the bike was not so much the cold, but the rain. With a cart (and sides I plan to get), I'll be able to make the journey without getting soaked.

Oh, one other thing, should I take the water caps off the batteries when I charge?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
crash test dummy

no keep caps on and top off batteries after you charge them .... if rain is issue then look in to a wiper system
Old 07-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchCraft View Post
Excellent, thanks for the info guys. LOL on the cold bothering me more than the cart. I'm used to the cold, up to this point I've been riding a bike that I hooked a weed whacker motor to, to get back and forth to work. The problem with the bike was not so much the cold, but the rain. With a cart (and sides I plan to get), I'll be able to make the journey without getting soaked.

Oh, one other thing, should I take the water caps off the batteries when I charge?
Once a Marine - Always a Marine.

Semper Fi from an old school USAFSS guy.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

LOL, Semper Fi.

I was an aviation electronics tech for the corps from 86 to 92 on Grumman A6E all weather attack bombers. We were always given the hand-me downs from the other services (like the Air Force) so I got pretty adept at making what I had at hand work. Made for some "interesting" fixes during the gulf war.

I already have a wiper coming as it's a requirement in my town for street legality. I have a watering kit on the way too to keep the batteries at correct level as well. Thanks again for the info guys.

Also, I got the 2" lift kit installed today. You would think that EZGO would have come up with some better engineering when it comes to accessing the top of the rear shocks! I thought for sure I was going to have to pull the body off but a buddy of mine came over and between the two of us were able to get our chunky fingers in there and get everything secure. A simple 2" kit made a huge difference in height. You guys with your 4" and 6" lifts must feel like your sitting on top of the world, LOL.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO