lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #311
Z71mtr
Gone Wild

Sportcoupe are you talking about the ride quality of a Yamaha is better
Z71mtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #312
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Long Travel lift front & rear, Lithium powered TXT build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71mtr View Post
Sportcoupe are you talking about the ride quality of a Yamaha is better
Yes it rides better and built quality is better.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #313
Refuse1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sportcoupe,

First, thanks for all the time you have spent on this write-up. Like everyone else, I am very impressed with your build and the documentation of it has been a real eye opener.

I need to replace the batteries in my Yamaha 6 seater and am thinking pretty seriously about following your lead and going with the Leaf Batteries from Hybrid Auto Center.

The only thing I am still struggling with a little bit is the bottom charging process. What I think you are saying is that when you first build the battery pack(s) with the 14 Leaf modules, you initially discharge all the modules individually to the same state of charge. Then you connect them together doubled up in series and let the battery charger bring them all up to 58.8.

If I understand you correctly, once the batteries are "matched" at the initial state of discharge, it's just a matter of plugging in the charger keeping them charged up ?

Am I missing anything ?

Thanks,

Jeff
Refuse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #314
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Jeff,
To speed up the discharge process I wired the whole pack in parallel to bottom balance, then rewired for series to charge. Some might disagree with that method but it literally cut weeks off the bottom balance procedure.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:25 AM   #315
Refuse1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sportcoupe,

Is the process of discharging the modules to have them all at the same voltage ? Are you just looking for them all being the same to begin with ? Is there a specific voltage that you want them to be at to start ?

Also, just curious why you split the packs in the Yamaha, but installed one big single pack in the EZ-GO ? I assume it was just logistics but thought I'd ask anyway.

Other than buying the proper charger, this looks to be a very simple install.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #316
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am not a lithium battery expert. I did some reading on bottom balancing versus top balancing (BMS). I choose the simpler solution since it's just a golf cart and max range every time driving wasn't an issue.

From what I gathered I bottom balance the pack to a bottom starting point for the batteries before charging. They all charge at different rates so some will get to their max before the others. You cannot do doth, bottom and top balance, it's one or the other. Bottom is cheaper and only is done once.

Go here and read as much as you can. I did.
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/

The yamaha got the exact same big pack as the ezgo did. I only separated it for easier mounting. If I was to do it again and didn't need 40+ mile range I would just use half that big pack.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #317
Refuse1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Sportcoupe.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #318
Oneunder
Getting Wild
Club Car

My eyes have glazed over from all the info on diyelectriccar.com site. Thanks for that reference and all your information.

I just ordered a quickcharge charger like you got. You mentioned needing to fine tune yours. Was it not cutting off at 58.8v or after you bottom balanced and did your initial charge, did you check each cell to find the weakest to reach the 4.2v and then fine tune to charger to shut down at that pack voltage?

Also, would you please elaborate more about your instrument you used to discharge the pack when doing your bottom balance?
Oneunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #319
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I'm pretty excited about this build. It's going good so far with few complications. I started with a well used 2003 txt as you can see.

I have a Jakes long travel cart and love how the front rides. Rear is still stiff with HD leaf springs. Jakes offers a rear long travel for gas but not electric. I bought the rear kit from jakes anyway to see if it'll work with a little fabrication.

The 2nd pic shows just the jakes rear long travel. Found two major problems right away.

Problem #1 a gas cart rear axle housing tube is 2.25" diameter, an electric is 2.00" so the solid aluminum coil-over mounts will not tighten down. Solution- I bought a steel tube with an inner diameter of 2.00" and an outer diameter of 2.25". I cut it in half lengthwise making two pieces that I welded to the rear axle tube increasing it's diameter to 2.25". Problem #1 done.

Problem #2 is no lateral and roll support for rear axle since electric doesn't have a motor mount stabilizing the rear axle. Solution- I come from a jeep off-roading background and we 3-link and 4-link all the time. If I triangulate new lower links I correct this issue. A bit of DOM tubing and some rod ends, some weld in bungs and a few tab mounts and we have a solid rear.

I know I'm going back a ways on this post. I am definitely missing something here. Wouldn't the purple bars (whatever they are called) prevent the rear axle from rolling?
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO