lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2020, 12:57 AM   #11
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: shift cable

If your shifting was fine before you changed cable, I feel your issue lies in how your connection linkage is set up at the point where the new cable connects to the shift lever on the axle case. I do not believe the governor has anything to do with your issue.

Heres what I encountered when changing mine...You need the maximum range of throw to operate all 3 positions of the gears. It took me a lot of tweeking the linkage, nut, washers, and spring positions on that cable to get it to work....still not completely smooth, but I am able to get all 3 positions.
Make sure the "outer" sheeting of the cable is fully secured at booth ends. I found that if this isnt tight, the sheeting case will move, limiting the range the inside cable will travel. This will stop you from being able to shift it fully.
I also found these cables outside sheeting (casing) can separate slightly at the ends where the plastic is crimped to the metal collars....cheap a$$ China manufacturing. For as much as these costs, the quality is questionable.
One last thing....I also lubed my cable slightly...helped with limiting any friction inside the casing....used a Cable Luber from a motocycle/bicycle shop.....few dollars on Amazon/Ebay.
Hope it helps.
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

well before i replaced the cable i was having issues randomly with shifting but the cable was breaking through the sheathing and its sat for awhile outside ( about 6 months ) and the cable was shot.

so when i replaced the engine with the big block is when it completely broke at the trans axle and i replaced it, now i cant seem to get all 3 gears. also thinking it has to do with the v-twin spinning to fast, i saw someone on add a brake to the drive clutch, not sure if it worked.
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #13
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellett5261 View Post
well before i replaced the cable i was having issues randomly with shifting but the cable was breaking through the sheathing and its sat for awhile outside ( about 6 months ) and the cable was shot.

so when i replaced the engine with the big block is when it completely broke at the trans axle and i replaced it, now i cant seem to get all 3 gears. also thinking it has to do with the v-twin spinning to fast, i saw someone on add a brake to the drive clutch, not sure if it worked.
yes, you are correct about the driven clutch spinning too fast. Might take a look at that belt, especially with the big block. Make sure its not too tight at idle...also, on my big block I had to adjust the idle down to 1100-1200 rpm.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #14
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCJ View Post
yes, you are correct about the driven clutch spinning too fast. Might take a look at that belt, especially with the big block. Make sure its not too tight at idle...also, on my big block I had to adjust the idle down to 1100-1200 rpm.
i was told to be about 12 1/2" roughly from center to center on both clutches, not entirely sure how accurate this is but no one has told me otherwise.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

OK so update,

i changed out the springs and spring washers at the trans axle, most diffidently better than it was. i currently have it shifting into all 3 gears F-N-R while up on a floor jack. once i take it out for a drive i end up having issues getting it back in either gear because of the tension.

i found part of the problem, its rubbing on the **** pumpkin at the new vegas carts bracket, has anyone else had this issue? i currently have to shut down the cart to change gears until i can turn down the RPM, maybe ill have time this afternoon to do so.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:14 PM   #16
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
i was told to be about 12 1/2" roughly from center to center on both clutches, not entirely sure how accurate this is but no one has told me otherwise.
Not sure about that measurement??? I have read on hear somewhere, generally you like to see about 2-3 inches by pinching the belt when squeezing together between the 2 clutches when the motor is OFF.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #17
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i fixed the problem, i found the issue with the cable, it was binding on the trans axle, i took off the bracket and put it on the bench grinder. went to reinstall it and still wasnt lining up. I went digging in a bucket of parts from the old engine and found the OEM cable bracket for the shift linkage, reinstalled that & made a slight adjustment to the cable throw. BOOM problem fixed. i fixed my idle issue too
Old 04-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #18
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
i fixed the problem, i found the issue with the cable, it was binding on the trans axle, i took off the bracket and put it on the bench grinder. went to reinstall it and still wasnt lining up. I went digging in a bucket of parts from the old engine and found the OEM cable bracket for the shift linkage, reinstalled that & made a slight adjustment to the cable throw. BOOM problem fixed. i fixed my idle issue too
Old 04-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #19
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCJ View Post
X2
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO