lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
austindebalski
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 1984 G1 No Power or Fire

I have a G1 my boss gave me that is super old. It's been sitting for years in the elements. I hot wired the ignition, charged the battery, pumped the tires up, cleaned the fuel pump, cleaned the carb, cleaned the air filter, and washed it real good. I got it to run for like 30-45mins. I didn't disable the governor. It ran good but then I started to smell something and it was smoking. I made it home and it smoked pretty bad. Since then I haven't been able to get power to the wheels. I pulles the gas line off of the carb and it shoots gas. I tested the oil pump and it seems to be shooting oil out. I mixed some gas up and put it in bc I thought I may have ran it hot without oil mix gas. But now it turns over and acts like it wants to start, but won't run like it did. I noticed when I opened the carb a chunk of it was eaten away by the years of gas sitting in it. Bit it ran very good even with that issue. Just curious what I did or if anyone had this issue.
austindebalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1984 G1 No Power or Fire

Check for spark also may have to clean carb again beings it SAT for awhile running it may have knocked some crud loose... Also try removing exhaust and seeing if it will run it very well could be plugged with rodent nest or just oil residue (this could explain your smoking) a muffler BBQ may be in order
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If its smoke out the exhaust that is normal for a G1 cart used for short trips, the muffler is huge and collects the oil over time. Eventually someone runs it for a long time and actually gets that huge muffler hot enough to burn the oil. That takes maybe 20 min of heavy throttle running to do. If you run it hard for about 15 min gassing on it that usually burns it all and smoke will turn blue and diminish. You will have quite a cloud of smoke when you are done. These carts are so old it may not burn all of it out because its dried out, then you have to bonfire it, cut it open and clean it, or replace it. If you crack the muffler away from the engine and run it you will notice more power if its plugged. Sometimes you can also stick something up the exhaust and knock stuff loose and it will be ok for a while.

As to why it wont run the muffler could be plugged, or it could be some other problem like fuel supply or carb. If the crank seals are bad they start hard and need lot of choke.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
austindebalski
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thank you for the tips.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

G1 was the best cart in the world for a long long time, they sold tons of them nobody else was close at the time. Now they are stinky loud old things often need a lot of rebuilding. I don't think anyone ever thought they would still be alive today but lot of things yamaha made in the 80s lasted way longer than planned. You can find info on all the common issues with them right here.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
blizzrd
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Could you have compression at 140 and still have bad crank seals?
blizzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
austindebalski
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I took the muffler off and it fired right up! I bbqed the muffler and hopefully I'll be back on the road soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha