lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
jashworth
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO TXT low compression

My 1996 ezgo txt needs about half choke to get it started. It’s like it’s hesitating. Once it’s going it runs fine but I have the same problem every time I come to a stop. I did a compression test and got about 90psi on both cylinders. I then adjusted the valves to .006 and then retested the compression and it was just slightly higher but my issue was still the same. What should I do next?
jashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT low compression

You could do a leak down test but I am 99.9% sure you have engine problems.

Make sure your gauge is working correct and if it is then pull the engine and sit it on secure table. Remove cylinder head and see if the intake valves are sunk in head. If after you have checked that I can advise you more. Tom.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
jashworth
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

@trig123 Is it possible to remove the head without removing the engine?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Yes, I have done it . Too much trouble for me now that I am in my 70's. :) There are head bolts under the camshaft so that has to be removed .

If you look at the breakdown on the engine you will see you can have the engine sitting on table before you get the head off. Do you have a manual ?
I uploaded what the engine looks like in case you don't have a manual.
Tom.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
jashworth
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I do not have a manual. Is there one on this forum?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...iagram-id.html

27615-g01 is the one you need for the engine. Tom
Old 08-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
jashworth
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay thanks, how difficult of a job is this? I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew...
Old 08-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Not that bad. Easy to remove. Have a plan before you remove it. There are options to exchange the engine for a rebuilt one out there. It will depend on your core being good if you go that route.

The parts for these engines are pricey so be careful when deciding to rebuild or buy a rebuilt.

I am betting yours like most with many hours on them have the intake valves sunk in the head. A weak part of these engines but at least most of the time you just buy new valves, lap them in and you are good to do.

The problem just installing valves and not rings is when you build up compression after installing just the valves and don't install new rings is they tend to use oil.

If you decide to rebuild it take your time removing things. I normally use the same pistons and rods and just install rings. The engines don't wear unless they have been abused. You won't know until you take it apart though.

The rods have fan marked on to make sure you don't install them the wrong way. The fan has the cooling blades on it.

Just make sure if you install the same rods to put them back just where they were located on crankshaft.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #9
dirtyyoda77
Gone Wild

Club Car

how long was the hose you were using to do the compression test I used a long one once and could only get 70lbs the motor was just rebuilt

remember these pistons and crank are small

Id clean the carb before you tear the engine down
dirtyyoda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:22 AM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Explain to me on how cleaning the carb is going to raise compression ?

I would say that when testing compression is to make sure the throttle is wide open. You will get a low reading if for some reason the throttle is closed. Other than that forget cleaning the carburetor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO