lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
rohar
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine problem

Here I am back again after a one year absence. After running around the golf course for a number of holes, my engine does not want to run until I have engaged the accelerator sometimes for as much as 30 seconds. When it does start to run there is a noticeable fuel smell, almost as though too much gas is getting through the fuel pump and carb. Maybe something to do with the spark plug not firing right away, I don't know! Any thoughts from anyone.
rohar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Engine problem

I held my hand on the screen, and determined that you are running a 1988 2 stroke.

Start with a simple spark plug change.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I did more than hold my hand on the screen. I read his mind :)
1988 ezgo 2 cycle, 244 cc robin motor
Plug like cart around said it probably fouled.
Mixture is what to what ? 50:1 maybe ?
Oil injection probably removed ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
JRL
Gone Wild

If the plug doesn't solve the problem, clean the carby. Probably loading up. Has it been sitting unused?
It would smell "gassy" if carb is screwed. Modern ethanol gas is rough on these little engines.
I cannot quite 'feel' exactly what engine we're talking about...my skills are lacking..the '88 2 stroke sounds OK.
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:18 AM   #5
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Dang, what golf course still allows a 1988 2 stroke
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I just got done working on an 88 2 stroke, It was running fine then just quit her on the course. I did a quick check for vitals and was getting all three, So I towed it home and removed the carb. It was very clean but when removing the bowl I found a tiny ball laying in the bottom, It's a plug that fell out of the casting beside the jet (picture)

The casting had a crack where the ball/plug is suppose to be crimped in, So I stuffed the ball back in place then crimped it in by closing the crack with vice grips just to get it running temporarily. BTW, It looked to me that without the ball/plug the fuel was by-passing the main jet and flooding out....

Ordered up a new carb (cheapy $28 ), Replaced all the fuel line with the yellow tinted see through type and new fuel filter with new spark plug. Put it back together and (against her wishes) I did NOT hook up the governor LOL.

Now the dang thing is quicker then mine, although mine still has a higher top end lol. She ran it around the block and said it's never ran that good and was amazed at how fast it is now too, duh lol. Then I told her about the governor and to bring it back in and I'll hook it up again. She didn't simply say no but says NO Fn WAY LOL........Success!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180801_121448_LI.jpg (165.4 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO