lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Lgshereck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 that wasnt running

Hi. I just bought a project ezgo. 1988 that wasnt running. They said it had been rebuilt a couple years ago. The oil injection was disconnected and they were mixing the gas. I wasnt sure on mixture, so at first mixed it at 50:1. I got it running, but smoked real bad. After looking online, i seen specs were supposed to be 128:1. I added gas to get it to 100:1. So now, it smokes like hell, but will increase in speed when pulling air cleaner off. Something i am missing here?
Lgshereck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Help. Looking for answers

Is this a 3PG? It might be a build up of oil in the muffler from too rich a mixture. Proper mixture is 128:1, or 1 OZ per gallon of gas. Look up muffler BBQ on this forum. I’ve done that before.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

On any used 2-smoke I would recommend a muffler BBQ before you try to troubleshoot anything else any further. Especially if it is smoking as bad as you say, a clogged muffler will create many problems.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Lgshereck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. Thanx guys. I loosened up the pipe that goes to the muffler, but it didnt seem to make a difference. I am gonna try this first, and go from there.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
Lgshereck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I took muffler off and barbequed in the firepit. Installed it and still the same. Took carb off and soaked it over night and cleaned it, still the same. I was told this was a new carb. I wonder if its the right one with the right jets in it. Anyone know what size jets are supposed to be in it? And what the float level shd be at?thanx.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Since it runs, but smokes, I would run a real strong dose of Seafoam through it before doing anything else.

Here is your manual. Section J tells you everything about the carburetor.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1988 EZGO Marathon Owner's Manual.pdf (6.82 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

All good advice above......

But, unless I missed something from what I've read that you've done I still don't see a proper mixture of 128:1. You started at 50:1 then must have doubled the amount of gas estimating it to be 100:1. That's still not 128:1 so it will smoke.....

My advice is to drain the tank and start over with exactly 128:1, I'd also replace the fuel line and filter along with the spark plug and go from there. Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
Lgshereck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 that wasnt running

Mixed all new gas-128:1. New fuel line,filter,. I even took carb back off and soaked it again. I am thinking this carb has wrong jets in it or something. It is definitely too rich of fuel. I ordered a new carb and gonna try that. I couldnt really read the number on the jet that was in there.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Ok very good on the mixture, The last 88 I worked on needed a new carb as the little ball in the casting that blocks a port next to the jet at the bottom of the bowl had fell out. The casting was cracked dropping the ball and allowing fuel to by-pass the jet and flooding out (pic)

I also removed the air intake tube from the air cleaner housing to the body louvers as it was somewhat blocked, I didn't look into the louvers but I suspect wasp nest......

I also couldn't find a number on the jet of the old carb or the new one either but if I remember right I think they're an 80-85. I'm at 6000ft elevation and whatever size the new carb came with was fine.....

I think yer on the right track now, IF it's still way rich then perhaps the fuel pump has a bad lower diaphragm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180801_121448_LI.jpg (165.4 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
Lgshereck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey, i also found a ball on the bottom of the bowl when i pulled it apart. Maybe thats the issue.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO