lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
Rcarlson
Not Yet Wild

Default 84 Marathon no power

I have an 84 Marathon with 2PG 2stroke engine. I rebuilt the engine a few years ago and it ran great until recently. I've had all kinds of troubles getting it to go. It runs great on jackstands but can't pull it's own weight up a hill. It just barely moves. Compression is 120 with a trusted tester. I've been through several carbs, new fuel pump, just did HEI ignition conversion. I've removed the exhaust, no difference. I run premix, 128:1. I changed out all the old fuel. I've read several similar posts on here but the OP never came back and said what the fix was. I have sprayed starting fluid around the crank seals and don't notice any difference.
Rcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 Marathon no power

Does the engine sound like it's running strong?

How wide is your drive belt? 1 3/16" is new less than an inch is junk.

Remove your drive belt, and squeeze the plates of the driven clutch together with your hand. If the plates lean towards each other, the clutch is worn. That will cause a huge power loss.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Rcarlson
Not Yet Wild

Ok i will check on that. I had the rear end jacked up earlier and I don't have a brake dragging. After barely making it up the hill into my shop, when I went to park it, it wanted to keep running. It was dieseling and backfiring. Could I have a timing issue?
Old 05-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Have you tried switching the red and blue wires from the pulsar after performing the hei mod?
Old 05-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
Rcarlson
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I did just try switching the pulsar wires and it ran worse. Engine seems to run good on jackstands. I don't see anything wrong with the clutch and my belt is well within spec. I'm thinking of pulling the fly wheel and checking the alignment of the pulsar. Any tips for pulling the fly wheel?
Old 05-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
Rcarlson
Not Yet Wild

Pulsar looks good. Crank seal is a little oily but not much. I might replace it while I can access it. I retraced all of the HEI conversion wires and see nothing wrong. One question...does it matter which coil I am using? I have a 12V coil out of a 68 Ford truck in it right now.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I used a cheap round $15 coil with no problem.

Tags
2pg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO