lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
Bop4
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart Theft Prevention

I have been reading the advice and opinions on reducing the potential for theft of our carts and researching available options and locks. I thought that I would share what I am doing to try and keep my cart safe. First, I will acknowledge that if a knowledgeable thief wants your cart, one way or another he will get it. We cannot stop that type of theft but we can make it sufficiently difficult that a thief wanting a cart will look elsewhere. Second, I don’t sell any of the products that I describe so don’t ask. Most are available on Amazon.
1. Replace the ignition switch with an uncommon key ignition switch.
2. Add a pedal lock for those trips to the store or golf course where you might leave your cart for an extended period.
3. When trailering or storing the cart, add a “J” hook to the cart wheel and trailer wheel and use a high quality padlock. There are several types that are really difficult to break or cut. Take a look at the Stanley and Abus locks. There are several high quality locks that you can use. The “J” hook loops around the leaf spring and through a hole in the wheel where a padlock is installed. It locks the wheel to the cart so that wheel cannot be replaced with another wheel to by pass the Lock. I bought one for the cart and one for the trailer.
4. I didn’t go this route but you can also add a GPS tracking devise to your cart and track in on your cell phone. Not expensive but you will need a subscription.
5. If you leave your cart on a trailer, consider a trailer tongue lock such as the Proven Industries lock. Consider also watching the videos on how to break a trailer tongue lock and you will not buy a cheap one.
6. A hidden switch is a good idea but I have an RXV and I was told they are a really bad idea for an RXV.
7. Case harden chains can also be used and are very difficult to cut without a metal cutting blade in a side grinder.
8. Lastly, purchase an insurance policy for your cart. It is not that expensive.

I hope that this helps. There is a great deal of information on the internet on how to secure a trailer and much of this can be applied to a cart.
Bop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cart Theft Prevention

Those are all good points. Also if you have to park it somewhere unattended leave it somewhere where there are security cameras.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Great tips. May I add locking “perk switch” . It’s a battery disconnect mostly used on boats to switch batteries on,off but also can be had with a key switch to lock, unlock. It connects to main battery cable in our case main battery pack cable.
Works on my 48 volt txt but not sure about rxv’s with their computer controls.
May want to get confirmation from those more knowledgeable on here about compatibility.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #4
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bop4 View Post
6. A hidden switch is a good idea but I have an RXV and I was told they are a really bad idea for an RXV.

what is the reasoning for this?
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Rxv carts are computer controlled
Very sensitive to altering/ modifying wiring unlike a txt cart
Ask the experts here before taping into any wiring on rxv carts.👍
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #6
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Installing one of these "EZGO 609692 Unique Key Switch for RXV Electric Vehicles" is a good place to start if your trying to keep someone from putting in their key and driving off. As I recall it's only 5 minutes, something like 4 screws and a electrical connector to install. I think that you can find one for around $35.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
DON-C
Not Yet Wild

Just remove the "Run Plug" on an RXV and it should baffle the would be thief and make him move on to an easier target.
DON-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
sc.rider
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that insurance was available to purchase specific to the cart. As a new cart owner, I was also a little surprised to learn that all EZGO keys are the same ha ha. I only received one when I bought mine and figured I would need to buy blanks and have them cut. Definitely makes it a little easier to steal.
sc.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

On our G16,I hid a toggle-switch in the glove-box,it interupts the circuit to the key-switch,and you can reach back and flip it without anyone really noticing,so its pretty secure,and wont drive away. A different key-switch would definitely add security,along with some of the other anti-theft devices mentioned.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #10
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9156100924189/ Just came across this in Market Place. May be a option
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cart theft, peddle locks, uncommon ignition keys, wheel locks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO