lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2020, 04:07 AM   #1
pacman377
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Trying to see if freedom mode is unlocked.

So I recently purchased a 2012 48volt TXT. It came with a lift and 23x10x14 sahara tires. The controller is the stock 1206HB controller and the motor is the advanced motors and drives dl9-4006. As far as i know its stock minus cosmetics. I have already upgraded the wires to 2 awg minus the 4 battery cables that were to short. The replacement cables that are long enough have already been shipped out and will be installed in a couple of days. Part of the reason is I intend to upgrade the controller the motor ect in the future. Today I checked the speed with gps on flat pavement and it was 19mph. The ezgo dealership here will unlock freedom mode for $50 dollars so I was going to do that for the time being but what Im reading is freedom mode will only get you to 19mph. That being the case if its already unlocked then I dont want to waste the $50 as Im already at 19mph. If it will get a little more speed then I dont mind paying the money but I dont want to spend it if its already unlocked. The woman I got it from said she doesnt know anything about a freedom mode her husband got the cart when they were married but now they are divorced so I wont be able to find out from them. Is there anything I can check to verify if its unlocked or can yall surmise from the information given if it is or isnt unlocked?
pacman377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2020, 04:59 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trying to see if freedom mode is unlocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman377 View Post
So I recently purchased a 2012 48volt TXT. It came with a lift and 23x10x14 sahara tires. The controller is the stock 1206HB controller and the motor is the advanced motors and drives dl9-4006. As far as i know its stock minus cosmetics. I have already upgraded the wires to 2 awg minus the 4 battery cables that were to short. The replacement cables that are long enough have already been shipped out and will be installed in a couple of days. Part of the reason is I intend to upgrade the controller the motor ect in the future. Today I checked the speed with gps on flat pavement and it was 19mph. The ezgo dealership here will unlock freedom mode for $50 dollars so I was going to do that for the time being but what Im reading is freedom mode will only get you to 19mph. That being the case if its already unlocked then I dont want to waste the $50 as Im already at 19mph. If it will get a little more speed then I dont mind paying the money but I dont want to spend it if its already unlocked. The woman I got it from said she doesnt know anything about a freedom mode her husband got the cart when they were married but now they are divorced so I wont be able to find out from them. Is there anything I can check to verify if its unlocked or can yall surmise from the information given if it is or isnt unlocked?
19 MPH tires is about right for a controller not in Freedom mode with 23" tires. Where are you located? Just turning on Freedom mode the way a dealer can do it will not increase the torque to help make up for driving those 23" tires! Your controller can be reprogrammed to increase the torque by 28%, as well as 5% more speed. Not sure what the max speed can be, as that depends upon the rolling resistance of your tires and the ability of your reprogrammed controller to push them up to a maximum of 24 to 25 MPH with those tires. Battery condition is important in this, along with the cables you are upgrading. You can send a PM to usgicollector about this.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #3
pacman377
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm in SC about a hr and a half from Myrtle Beach. And I'll message him.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah, there are two things that are your best bet for increasing speed without spending $$$. First is getting Bob to tweak your controller and second is verifying you are not suffering from increased drag.

Increased drag can come from low pressure in your tires and dragging brakes. But as Bob stated, with 23" tires and lead acid you are pretty close to your max. My cart when it still had the stock controller in freedom mode with 23" tires and lead batts it would reach 21mph/22mph if I had a long flat paved road... So "Freedom Mode" isn't going to gain you too much.

Bob does trips on occasion, if you can wait till he's in your area that's honestly the best way to go.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman377 View Post
I'm in SC about a hr and a half from Myrtle Beach. And I'll message him.
I'll be passing through SC on Friday the 7th, on my way to Florida.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:51 PM   #6
Mduvall219
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I'll be passing through SC on Friday the 7th, on my way to Florida.
Bob, What part of Florida are you headed to? I’m interested in hooking up. I’m in fort myers. To the original poster, I have freedom unlocked on mine and it tops out at 24 and occasionally 25 with the same setup you have. I can also say when I have the computer hooked up to the controller it only will get up to 16 mph according to the software. If I put on blocks with no drag it will get to the full 19.6 on the computer which would translate to about 28/29 on the road, but I’m guessing the controller isn’t powerful enough for the tires. Maybe Bob can confirm that
Mduvall219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:16 PM   #7
pacman377
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm going to assume if your going to Florida you will be passing though Florence or Darlington. Both are only 15 to 20 min from the house but I'm stuck working 12s this week so I'll have to try for a later time.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I do have a stop in north Augusta tomorrow. I will be passing by the Ft Meyers area on my way back north from the Miami area. This trip will likely be my last one. I'm getting tired of having to repair controllers prior to reprogramming them, because people don't listen and have someone go in there and corrupt their controllers when they think someone else can do what I do.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I do have a stop in north Augusta tomorrow. I will be passing by the Ft Meyers area on my way back north from the Miami area. This trip will likely be my last one. I'm getting tired of having to repair controllers prior to reprogramming them, because people don't listen and have someone go in there and corrupt their controllers when they think someone else can do what I do.
Hey Bob, I get back tomorrow and should be around most of next week playing with the new project.

Are you still planning to drop by The Villages for lunch?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #10
joe58
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Bob, do you ever head north (VA), I would love you to work some magic on mine, I just picked it up but don't think it has had anything done.

Joe
joe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO