lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
vdubb96
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 ezgo medalist shuddering in reverse

Just recently started noticing after our 96 EZ GO Medalist 36 Volt sits for a few days, it will randomly not move. after toying with the f/r for a bit it will "break free" with a clunk then start shuddering when put in reverse. When I put it back in Forward it will just creep. After messing with the moving it back and forth a few times it will finally "break free" and work just fine the rest of the day. It's very odd. Any ideas. I know the batteries are around 5 years old but seem to hold a charge well. It almost seems like the rear brakes are stuck or something with the rear end. Help would be greatly appreciated!!!
vdubb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 ezgo medalist shuddering in reverse

Let sit a few days then jack up the rear and check the brakes. Not stuck? Replace the F&R. If it is the jacked up cart in your avatar, you need a HD switch cam in it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
vdubb96
Not Yet Wild

It is the cart in the pic. I wondered about the brakes too. Or could it be the rear axle? What kind of fluid does it take? I can hear a "clicking" sound when I'm engaging into either f/r. What is an HD switch cam?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The rear axle contains about 20 oz of HD 30w motor oil.
A HD switching cam is center part of the F&R switch which houses the buss bars and 4 of the 8 contact lugs in the F&R. Carts with big tires, upgraded electronics, of just doing steep hills daily, need a HD switch cam or HD F&R or to handle the heat of the extra amperage they have to handle to meet the needs of a modified cart. In a 96 cart I suggest a new F&R with the HD switch cam .... of course check out the batteries first! A shutter can be caused by a weak battery, if you have half power reverse connected (stock cart) It may just show up more in Reverse.
3 things to check
brakes / wheels /axles = rolling free
Batteries = healthy no weak cells
F&R = no burnt contacts. *(my guess)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
vdubb96
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info man, I really appreciate it. I do know it's rolling free. So my main thought was rear axle or batteries. I did just wire in a new stereo system, could that have something to do with it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO