lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
jstarsick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 3pg rebuild but cart is slow

I just did a top end rebuild and replaced the crankshaft seals on my 91 Marathon. I put everything back together and the cart started right up and took off. The motor sounds great its not missing, however the cart is slow and does not seem to have a lot of power like its not getting to a high enough RPM before the clutch engages. Compression seems to be on the low side its about 110psi but I'm not 100% sure that is the problem. Before the rebuild I had compression below 90psi and the cart had more power than it does now. I'm wondering if its as simple as a throttle problem or if maybe I damaged the clutch when removing it to put the new seals in. How do I confirm the clutch is working properly? Any other thoughts?
jstarsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 3pg rebuild but cart is slow

did you put the rings in the right way around? 110 is incredibly low for a fresh top end (should be around 130+) - I'd start there with the low compression, something isn't right
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Did you use a rebuild kit i.e. a new cylinder and piston or did you just replace the rings? As BCM says 110 psi is very low and you should be seeing ~140 psi.

Are you sure that the piston is in the right way, the ports must face the inlet side?

Did you torque down the cylinder head bolts correctly?

With the axle on stands you should be able to gently rev the engine and see the drive clutch run from fully open to fully closed and the driven clutch run from closed to open.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
jstarsick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did a complete top in rebuild new cylinder, pistons, rings and gaskets. I am almost 100% positive I put the rings in properly with the beveled side up.

I did not get a new gasket that goes between the reed valves and the cylinder I cut one out of gasket material.

I removed the oil pump and cut the hose about 2 inches from the carburetor and screwed a screw into the hose its a nice tight seal. I'm running a break in tank of 40:1 right now

The cart sounds great. Its a night and day difference between the old engine and the rebuild. I will try putting it on jack stands to confirm the clutch isn't the problem.
jstarsick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3pg rebuild
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO