lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
texasbagger
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Shocking Experience or Lack Of

Man this is an awesome forum! I've learned so much from picking through all of these threads. I finally got everything together for my 48v converter and got to work. Electrical work intimidates me for some reason...mostly the cost of a simple mistake.

Alright heres the run down.
30amp 48 to 12v converter installed with some Mcgyver brackets under the rear seat access panel.
Seabase Fuse block with Pos and Neg bus installed
pre-wried for 6 circuits no terminations yet
Installed 3 rocker switches on the dash-terminated leads and ready for accessories--figuring out a clean way to provide negative back to Seabase off of accessory
Recieved my ATV20 Audio tube...to **** big to mount between front and rear seat backing (adapt and conquer) Fits well above dash between windshield. Looks a little clunky but sounds good.
(Once I sit down and figure out picture posting I will add some of my pics through the install.)

Have not terminated the converter to the battery pack due to one hold up. The yellow from the converter (remote on/off) is terminated to my keyswitch and I have read so many threads about relays etc that Im not sure I want to pull the trigger and power up until I have confirmed that this yellow cable is simply used for a completion of the circuit and will not fry my key switch or anything else for that matter.
texasbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
texasbagger
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Shocking Experience or Lack Of

Went ahead and tried to power up. Terminated yellow remote cable to the keyswitch then terminated battery cables. I heard some clicking but no power to a test accessory. Scratching me head right now
Old 05-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am assuming you ran the ground to the batteries and not the frame?

IE both the fuse block and the converter
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbagger View Post
Went ahead and tried to power up. Terminated yellow remote cable to the keyswitch then terminated battery cables. I heard some clicking but no power to a test accessory. Scratching me head right now
When testing be sure to use the +12 volt wire and the battery/ground wire not the frame also
Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
texasbagger
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yes took them back to the negative post on the battery pack. I don't think I am getting power to the converter. Going to break it off of the fuse block and run direct wiring for some troubleshooting I guess.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Yes took them back to the negative post on the battery pack. I don't think I am getting power to the converter. Going to break it off of the fuse block and run direct wiring for some troubleshooting I guess.
Now be sure to hook it up to the last Neg battery in the series, not just any neg post battery. Check voltage on the positive lead and neg lead going to the convertor. You should have 48 volts between the 2.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
texasbagger
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I saw some diagrams that are different from the way I have it wired. I have the ground for both the Seabase and the converter going to the battery pack. ie...Seabase ground post to battery and another lead from converter to battery. The diagram shows the converter going to the seabase negative ground bus then from the Seabase to the negative battery post. Would this make a difference?

I don't think I am getting 48 volts to my converter. I do have positive battery pack to 48v input of converter but the yellow remote on off is going to my key switch. On the 97 DS CC I dont think there is any power coming off of the key switch. I terminated this to the terminal that holds the orange/white wire (goes to the warning light) and it also has a green wire that (goes back to the solenoid). The other terminal on the keyswitch has a blue wire that goes to the pontentiometer.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I saw some diagrams that are different from the way I have it wired. I have the ground for both the Seabase and the converter going to the battery pack. ie...Seabase ground post to battery and another lead from converter to battery. The diagram shows the converter going to the seabase negative ground bus then from the Seabase to the negative battery post. Would this make a difference?

I don't think I am getting 48 volts to my converter. I do have positive battery pack to 48v input of converter but the yellow remote on off is going to my key switch. On the 97 DS CC I dont think there is any power coming off of the key switch. I terminated this to the terminal that holds the orange/white wire (goes to the warning light) and it also has a green wire that (goes back to the solenoid). The other terminal on the keyswitch has a blue wire that goes to the pontentiometer.
No that is the way I would have ran the ground. Have you tested the voltage at the switch? Have you checked to make sure there isn't an inline fuse?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
texasbagger
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I went ahead and switched the grounds as mentioned up above. Checked the fuse to my converter and it was broken so went ahead and replaced that and presto we have power to speakers and one of my rocker switches. I'm happy with that but not satisfied. The key switch does not power it off when in the off position. I am thinking the next thing to fix that is the relay I have been seeing on the varous "converter/keyswitch" threads.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
texasbagger
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

SWEET!!!! Took the Yellow remote on/off wire off of the keyswitch terminal with the orange/white wire (goes to the warning light) and also the green wire. Switched it over to the teminal with the blue wire to the potentiometer and we're golden.
I had it wired up fine the other day. I think I was dealing with a busted not blown fuse. Who knows. We're up and running now.
Time to find some more accessories for my 3 rocker switches now.
LEDs and what else?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car